Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Frontend won’t run on my 64 bit Windows 7: solution/alternatives? (Read 30248 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Frontend won’t run on my 64 bit Windows 7: solution/alternatives?

I have used FLAC Frontend for years to convert live show recordings but ever since I got a new computer with Windows 7 that is 64 bit I can't get the program to even load. Does anyone know where I can get a FLAC-esque program for my machine?

Reply #2
Try checking, on the program's Properties Compatibility tab, "Run this program as an administrator" and "run this program in compatibility mode for" WinXP, service pack 3 -- for all users.

Reply #3
So FLAC installs, but when I try to convert a file it says:

"Run Time Error '75':
Path/File access Error

Reply #4
flac.exe from the FLAC 1.2.1b bundle downloaded from rarewares.org runs fine for me under Win7 Pro x64.

FLAC Frontend, however, doesn't run, but I'm not getting the '75' error.  Instead, it's saying that MSCOMCTL.OCX is missing, which appears to be a Visual Basic 6 component, and after a little Googling, it appears that this is just "the way things are" under Win7 x64.

I tried running FLAC Frontend in WinXP SP 3 compatibility mode - and as admin - but to no avail.

I think the bottom line is that FLAC Frontend is just too old - or more specifically, relies on Windows components that are no longer supported - to run under Win7 x64.

So, I would second the recommendation for foobar2000, and actually, for just converting WAVs to FLAC, it requires very little configuration - drop your files into the playlist window, right-click -> Convert -> ..., choose FLAC from the drop-down, set the compression level, set your directory and filename options, and off you go.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #5
I did not remember this until I installed FLAC on another Win7 64 bit computer;

MSCOMCTL.OCX must be copied to C:\Windows\SysWOS64
This is an old MS ActiveX control. I found it somewhere online with a search.

It turns out that the compatibility options do not need to include "run this program in compatibility mode for WinXP, service pack 3", only the
"Run this program as an administrator" for all users.

If, as is my practice, one does not want it to add tags or use replaygain, one must uncheck those default boxes before clicking on Encode (first time use only). If one does want one or both of those options, I don’t know what is required.

Reply #6
...and does anyone knows where to grab 64-bit FLAC build ?

EDIT: found this 64-bit build -> http://www.box.net/shared/aabhhqin0j
F.O.R.A.R.T. npo

Reply #7
Flacdrop frontend still works like a charm in 64-bit W7. Just put it in the same folder as flac.exe.
http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php

Reply #8
Waiting for RW's ICL 11.1 x64 FLAC (and, why not, other lossless codecs) build, i found another old x64 build.

...and there should be a 64-bit FLAC into latest MediaCoder too.

To be correct, here's and interesting (dated) comparison between norma, ICL and x64 FLAC builds: FLAC compile benchmarks
F.O.R.A.R.T. npo