Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Video playback and ReplayGain (Read 6026 times) previous topic - next topic

Video playback and ReplayGain

Is there any video media player out there, either natively or through the use of a plug-in, that can play videos utilizing embedded ReplayGain values or a similar equivalent? I haven't been able to find anything.

VLC appeared to be a strong candidate as it supports ReplayGain, but for me it doesn't work on videos.

I've suggested it in Zoom Player: http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=13247
Project Leader of DDResampled

Reply #1
I'am not aware of any, but instead of replaygain you may want to suggest the neuish EBU r128 standard.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
With Dolby AC3 files, there is a Dialnorm[/u] parameter that sets the level.  It should be possible to alter that value just  as easily as a ReplayGain tag.  But, I don't know of any existing tools that can do that.

There is a loudness standard for movies, which ReplayGain was originally based on.  But, it doesn't have the same goals as ReplayGain...  It doesn't mean that all movies are the same loudness.  It means that when you are in the theater you are getting the loudness that the producer intended (with variations for seating position).

You can get a set-up & calibration DVD, and an SPL meter, and calibrate your home system to the same cinema standard.  But, most people want to adjust the volume depending on how they feel at the moment or how loud they want to listen at any particular time.

Reply #4
whats interesting after all this time i still do not understand embedded metadata and especially the lack of any external.txt/xml file for doing the same...

About the video player behaviour, very shortly:
- Use r128 and not replaygain, calculate the number at 1st play if it is not there allready.
- Have an option to calculate the gain for each entity in the playlist before playback.
- Have an option to do a 2 step process: if there is no gain info, do a quick scan before first play, do a full scan at 1st playback.
(Have an option to only calculate RG for files shorter than N minutes)

No, the option to only read some tags will not be enough.

This is just generaly speaking, I'am not interested in testing windows only software, especially not the commercial versions.

CyberTootie: Why don't you use something like MPC-HC, btw? http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung