IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Degree for component design
System92
post Oct 14 2011, 20:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91820

Hello,

I'm wondering what University degree is required in order to work in the audio component domain? I presume an electrical engineer would work on amplifier circuitry for example, but what about loudspeakers and other components? If someone has any knowledge about this I'd appreciate very much!

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sthayashi
post Oct 14 2011, 21:02
Post #2

Member No.: 5997

I'd say either Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Math or Computer Science. Since you don't have a very specific question, I don't have a very specific answer.

The audio component domain is huge. In most cases, a complex waveform gets carried through the air until it affects a mechanical/electrical transducer, at which point the waveform is converted to electricity and amplified. From that point, it either gets amplified, processed, transformed and sent to another transducer which replicates that wave form (in the case of a live concert). Or it undergoes complex processing to be sent to a storage medium. At which point, it will stick around until someone wants to listen to it, and then more complex processing occurs until ultimately it goes through that amplification process out to the transducer (i.e. loudspeaker).

Most of this occurs in the electrical domain, but the end points are all mechanical. The concept of audio itself is basically physics. The newest technologies are largely being done by computers/processors, but the algorithms and heuristics used by the overall system is at its core, math.
+Quote Post
System92
post Oct 14 2011, 21:17
Post #3

Member No.: 91820

Thanks for your quick reply sthayashi!

Sorry for a not quite specific question, I wasn't sure how to ask it as my question(s) was pretty broad in my head as well laugh.gif

Although your answer was still spot on and enlightened a few bulbs in my head, I'll look further into it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 19:47