Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New soundcard for music listening and occasional recording (Read 4356 times) previous topic - next topic

New soundcard for music listening and occasional recording

A while ago I wrote about a problem with my Terratec Phase X24 and Windows 7. I still have it, it's great as a hardware, but the drivers for Windows 7 x64 are nothing but trouble. I even got it pretty cheap, for about €120. Apart from the Directsound problems, I get an occasional BSOD (irql_not_less_or_equal).

I decided to find a replacement, but can't seem to find anything that has similar specifications. My budget is $100-200.

Here are the full specs for Phase X24.

The replacement card should at least have:
- prefer USB2 (or even USB3?) over firewire.
- good written drivers for win7 x64, ASIO support
- 24-bit / 96kHz converters with 110dB dynamic range, low crosstalk, high SNR, etc
- 2V output level
- 2 balanced input channels with separate gain preamp + phantom power
- 2 balanced output channels

It would be good if it had:
- MIDI interface
- digital out (TOS link)
- linux drivers/pulseaudio and jackd support
- 1 more output channel (for reamping)
- headphone preamp

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
The sound card which I think could be a great replacement is E-MU 0404 USB, however it seems to be discontinued. The 0204 USB and Tracker Pre seem OK, but I'd rather get something more like 0404. Anyone has experience with E-MU drivers under 64-bit Windows 7?

Reply #2
Not exactly 110 dynamic range (109 out, 104 in), but otherwise I think matches your criteria (not sure about price, tho):
Roland Quad Capture (UA-55)

I don't have it myself, so can't personally vouch for it. Just saw it mentioned on another forum.
Another option is the NI Komplete Audio 6, but it's even more expensive.

What I personally like about both of these is that they get power from the USB and don't need an external supply.

Reply #3
Yeah, I know what you mean - my X24 also gets its power from the firewire connector.

Thanks, both of these cards' specs seem great, but they cost around 270-300 dollars on ebay and that's too much for me but I'll consider whether it's worth it.

The tech specs on Komplete Audio 6 seem odd - how come it has so high THD value?

Reply #4
I'm still pondering whether to buy this: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/DMX_6Fire_USB_2084.html
It was suggested to me in this thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=91090
It needs an external power supply though.
edit: only has one balanced input

Maybe Focusrite has something for you: e.g. http://www.focusrite.com/us/products/audio...t_8i6/overview/

Currently I'm using onboard sound (Realtek HD) and apart from ASIO I'm not missing anything from my now defunct Terratec Aureon.

Reply #5
Gecko,

I really wouldn't recommend you the DMX 6Fire because I had really a bad experience with Terratec tech support (check the hydrogenaudio topic I linked in the first post). Not sure what's the status of the DMX 6Fire's drivers, though.

This Focusrite sound card seems interesting!  I wonder does it work in Ubuntu Studio. Native Instruments officially state that Komplete Audio 6 is supported in Linux, although that card is more expensive.

Reply #6
A while ago I wrote about a problem with my Terratec Phase X24 and Windows 7. I still have it, it's great as a hardware, but the drivers for Windows 7 x64 are nothing but trouble. I even got it pretty cheap, for about €120. Apart from the Directsound problems, I get an occasional BSOD (irql_not_less_or_equal).

I decided to find a replacement, but can't seem to find anything that has similar specifications. My budget is $100-200.

Here are the full specs for Phase X24.

The replacement card should at least have:
- prefer USB2 (or even USB3?) over firewire.
- good written drivers for win7 x64, ASIO support
- 24-bit / 96kHz converters with 110dB dynamic range, low crosstalk, high SNR, etc
- 2V output level
- 2 balanced input channels with separate gain preamp + phantom power
- 2 balanced output channels

It would be good if it had:
- MIDI interface
- digital out (TOS link)
- linux drivers/pulseaudio and jackd support
- 1 more output channel (for reamping)
- headphone preamp

Thanks in advance.

I am very happy using the Edirol (Roland nowadays, I believe) UA-25EX.  It supports 24/96 recording and playback, but you have to select this prior to operation on the device (it's USB1.x).  I also believe it has quite good Linux support, but you need to check this.  For the rest the specs are on-par with your request.

I have been using this on the road for recording, and it is quite sturdy. 

Hope this helps!

Peter

Reply #7
Thanks, I've already bought the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, I got a great deal for €200. I really like this sound card, and even though the specs may be a bit worse than the Phase X24, I can't hear any difference. The most important thing for me is that it works flawlessly in both Windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu Studio.

The only problem I encountered in Ubuntu is that I had to upgrade to kernel 3.0, I guess it had to be done to update ALSA. And also I had to write my own profile set for the sound card because it had an odd channel mapping, but it works in jack 2 without any problems.