IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24bit/96kHz FLAC to 16bit/44.1kHz via Audition with Triangular dither?
MilMascaras
post Dec 11 2011, 21:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84368

Hello Folks:
I have quite a few high resolution flacs, in 24bit/96Khz, (ie HDTracks purchases), and occasionally have need to convert these to 16bit/44.1kHz for CD compilations or portable devices that can't handle 24bit:
(ie AirTunes/Airport/AppleTV2).
Being Mac based, I use xACT, XLD, Max, and Adobe Audition to capture/encode/manipulate my audio library.

At this time, I am using Adobe Audition to convert the 24bit/96kHz source files to 16bit/44.1 kHz, using the "Save As" function, and choosing the convert sample type choice to 44.1 kHz Stereo, 16-bit (Triangular Dither).
Is this a valid/correct choice using the tools I have available?

(PS: The output is WAV, and then I might do final conversion to ALAC via XLD for my iPhones/iPods).
I still treasure my original hi-rez tracks, but enjoy the process for making custom compilations, etc, and hope to improve my methodologies. )

Thank you for your feedback/consultation/corrections.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ron Jones
post Dec 12 2011, 01:10
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46048

The 'best' approach is dependent on how the original material was dithered, to a degree. For tracks originally subjected only to unshaped or minimally-shaped TPDF, any kind of dither is sufficient. For content dithered with psychoacoustic dither, unshaped TPDF is probably the best method.

Generally it won't be clear to you what kind of dither has been applied to your source, so unshaped TPDF is what I'd recommend.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 05:54