Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Closing Audiograbber results in memory dump (Read 4376 times) previous topic - next topic

Closing Audiograbber results in memory dump

When I try to close it, it says, "Audiograbber is not responding". I cannot even end task. Every time, I try to end task, it cycles back to a prompt asking me to send the error to Microsoft. It will not go away unless I shut the machine down! The last time this happened a few weeks ago, I had to shut the power down, then reinstall. Now, the same thing is happening!

Also, two error logs ere generated. The first one is one called "audiograbber.exe.mdmp", a dump file which I cannot open. The second one is a text file named, "appcompat.txt" containing the the following:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="audiograbber.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="audiograbber.exe" SIZE="899072" CHECKSUM="0x838E2208" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.83.0.1" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.1.0.0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Copies digital audio from cd's. Freeware." FILE_VERSION="1.83.01" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="audiograbber.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="AudioGrabber" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Jackie the hacker 1997-2004" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.83.0.1" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.1.0.0" LINK_DATE="02/15/1994 02:15:37" UPTO_LINK_DATE="02/15/1994 02:15:37" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="WMA8Connect.dll" SIZE="155648" CHECKSUM="0x56612D28" BIN_FILE_VERSION="4.0.0.28" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="4.0.0.28" PRODUCT_VERSION="4, 0, 0, 28" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Compression CODEC" COMPANY_NAME="Illustrate" PRODUCT_NAME="dBpowerAMP" FILE_VERSION="4, 0, 0, 28" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="WMA.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="WMA" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © 2000" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="4.0.0.28" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="4.0.0.28" LINK_DATE="01/03/2002 17:03:18" UPTO_LINK_DATE="01/03/2002 17:03:18" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United Kingdom) [0x809]" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="989696" CHECKSUM="0x2D998938" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.090321-1317)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xFE572" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" LINK_DATE="03/21/2009 14:06:58" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/21/2009 14:06:58" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>
Any ideas?

Reply #1
Try the AG Support Forum

Or

Switch to a secure ripper like EAC or CueTools.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
I've been using AG for many years and actually paid for it before it became 'free'. I've never had your problem and ran it on Win98, 98SE and XP Pro SP1/2/3 on an early Pentium and many AMD bugs. The version I run is from 2004. I wish you luck in sorting it out.

Reply #3
It looks like you're using a very old program. You don't specify OS or anything so no-one can help unless you do.

Reply #4
You don't specify OS or anything

The dump indicates Windows XP, service pack 3.

The dump hints loosely that the OP is trying to rip and compress to WMA using dbpa's encoder, but of that I am not sure. It may be an unintended side-effect that causes AG to crash.

It will not go away unless I shut the machine down!

In such cases, musicollector, you can right-click the taskbar OR press Ctrl+alt+Delete; select "Task Manager"; go to the Processes tab; and end the offending process. This is a command that basically says: "REALLY End Task. I'm not kidding."

Still, I'm not sure thise is the right site for this question, so unless someone has an answer, your best bet is the AG support forum as linked by A Man-Eating Duck.

Reply #5
I've been using AG for many years and actually paid for it before it became 'free'. I've never had your problem and ran it on Win98, 98SE and XP Pro SP1/2/3 on an early Pentium and many AMD bugs. The version I run is from 2004. I wish you luck in sorting it out.

Yes, Glenn, I have been using AG since the year it became free on Win XP, SP3 on multiple machines without any problems. That is why this puzzles me. I simply download the installer at the AG website each time I need it to ensure I am getting the latest, though it seems 1.83 is the definitive version. I love AG and wouldn't dream of any other software to do this as I have thousands of LPs that I have been ripping to digital.

You don't specify OS or anything
The dump indicates Windows XP, service pack 3. [. . .] you can right-click the taskbar OR press Ctrl+alt+Delete; select "Task Manager"; go to the Processes tab; and end the offending process. This is a command that basically says: "REALLY End Task. I'm not kidding."
Yes, indeed - sharp eye! It is XP SP3.

Thanks, but as you can see in my original post, that is _exactly_ what I did. Normally, killing it in Task Manager should do the job, not necessitating a cold reboot. I have done it thousands of times before! It looks as if the user-mode part of the process is terminated but the kernel-mode part remains! I then, had to kill explorer.exe and run it again from command line. That did it once. But the next time, I had to cold reboot.

Try the AG Support Forum
Going there now. Thank you.