Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

AAC encoding from dff files
hlloyge
post Jan 31 2012, 10:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27018

Hello all.

I have a question; I have a tune in dff (sacd rip) format which I obtained by shady sources, and it is not relevant for this discussion.

What I want to know is, how to encode it to aac? I am using foobar2000, and I loaded dff decoder plugin, and the song plays fine. But drum at the beginning peaks far above 0 dB, I guess it goes to +6. When I encode it to AAC, I use sox resampler plugin to convert it to 44100, but then it also peaks far above, but a bit less, I guess something about +3 or +4. I think it is because it is decoded AFAIK to 32bit float, which can handle higher peaks. I don't hear distortion whatsoever in original and encoded file, at least not on my desktop speakers, I haven't done any ABX test.

The question is - is this OK? I know mp3 doesn't have bit depth in the normal way wav file has; but I don't know about AAC. Can it handle that high input for encoding and decode it properly, without artifacts, or would I have to use some sort of peak limiting before encoding, or just decode it to wav and then load it up in Audacity and normalize it's peak limits to zero?

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
benski
post Feb 2 2012, 01:28
Post #2

Winamp Developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 23375

One thing I've always been curious about - and perhaps Chris could answer - does the PNS tool (Perceptual Noise Substitution) create any non-determinism in decoding? Or is the random number generator seeded from the bitstream somehow? I'm asking mainly from the point of view of peak value detection in ReplayGain (and compensation during playback) .

This post has been edited by benski: Feb 2 2012, 01:29
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Feb 2 2012, 01:47
Post #3

Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (benski @ Feb 1 2012, 19:28) *
One thing I've always been curious about - and perhaps Chris could answer - does the PNS tool (Perceptual Noise Substitution) create any non-determinism in decoding? Or is the random number generator seeded from the bitstream somehow? I'm asking mainly from the point of view of peak value detection in ReplayGain (and compensation during playback) .

I don't know what the spec says, but libfaad's pns_decode uses a random number generator which is always initialized to the same value.

WMA Standard does something similar.
+Quote Post
benski
post Feb 2 2012, 02:27
Post #4

Winamp Developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 23375

QUOTE (saratoga @ Feb 1 2012, 20:47) *
QUOTE (benski @ Feb 1 2012, 19:28) *

I don't know what the spec says, but libfaad's pns_decode uses a random number generator which is always initialized to the same value.

WMA Standard does something similar.

So playback from the start of the file would be OK, but "random" seeking could potential cause peak values to differ?
+Quote Post
saratoga
post Feb 2 2012, 02:34
Post #5

Member No.: 3264

QUOTE (benski @ Feb 1 2012, 20:27) *
So playback from the start of the file would be OK, but "random" seeking could potential cause peak values to differ?

Ha, I suppose it would.

This post has been edited by saratoga: Feb 2 2012, 02:35
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 16:44