IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fidelify, Moderation—Spotify client. Supposedly fixes gapless etc. Any opinions?
pawelq
post Feb 6 2012, 03:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26522

[I hope this is the right subforum, only now I realized there is no subforum for software except for CD-related software or fb2k]

I recently found out that there exist a Spotify client called Fidelify (http://www.fidelify.net/) which (among other things) supposedly solves the original client's inability to handle gapless playback. Has anyone tried it? Comments?

--------------------
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kritip
post Feb 6 2012, 16:08
Post #2

Member No.: 1036

I can't see any mention of gapless on the homepage....any reference?
+Quote Post
kritip
post Feb 6 2012, 16:12
Post #3

Member No.: 1036

Just tested it and there is a minor click but otherwise it does appear to work. The UI is not very nice thoough, but I'll give it a go smile.gif

//edit -- sure it's beta. but it's buggy as hell......it's crashed on me twice, its had connection errors, wording on the UI just vanished, and sometimes instead of transitioning to the next track, the timer will count above the end of the track length and just sit in silence. And that's all in 10 minutes of playing with it.

This post has been edited by kritip: Feb 6 2012, 16:21
+Quote Post
pawelq
post Feb 7 2012, 05:11
Post #4

Now I gave it a try as well (got Spotify Premium free trial).

Can't tell much, because Fidelify crashed on each of about 15 attempts to play a track. 160 or 320 kbps, ASIO or WASAPI, first or last track of an album or playlist, it's been always: Unhandled exception occurred in your application [...] Index was out of range.

After several attempts it started crashing on login, the Fidelify process was left running and I had to kill it with Task Manager. This does not deserve to be called a "beta".

So let me summarize my options:

Fidelify: probably gapless, but can't tell because it won't work

Spotify: great sound quality (Vorbis 320 kbps with Premium account), but: terribly non-gapless (there is a fade out, a moment of silence, and a fade-in, imagine listening to Verdi's Requiem in such circumstances), in the US some tracks are missing from albums due to licensing issues (I guess Fidelify suffers from the same problem). These are the reason I did not want to pay them, and sure I'll cancel my free trial before they get any money from me for such crappy product.

Grooveshark: non-gapless, in-browser player hungs every 20 minutes or so, or redirects to spam sites, sketchy coverage, dubious legality, poor sound quality

Passionato: (probably the only decent store selling classical in FLAC (as well as mp3)): FLACs are usually more expensive than CDs from Amazon, mp3's are similarly priced as Amazon CDs. A lot of important recordings are missing (they have ONE recording by Herreweghe), some available on mp3 only.

I guess I'll stick to buying CDs and ripping mad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
pawelq
post Feb 7 2012, 05:14
Post #5

QUOTE (kritip @ Feb 6 2012, 10:08) *
I can't see any mention of gapless on the homepage....any reference?

Gapless in Fidelify was claimed by someone in the gapless request thread on getsatisfaction/Spotify.

--------------------
+Quote Post
db1989
post Feb 7 2012, 12:21
Post #6

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

QUOTE (pawelq @ Feb 7 2012, 04:11) *
Grooveshark: non-gapless, in-browser player hungs every 20 minutes or so, or redirects to spam sites, sketchy coverage, dubious legality, poor sound quality
Dubious legality? It’s currently being sued by all the major labels. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Tetralin
post Aug 2 2013, 06:19
Post #7

Member No.: 109417

QUOTE (pawelq @ Feb 5 2012, 20:24) *
[I hope this is the right subforum, only now I realized there is no subforum for software except for CD-related software or fb2k]

I recently found out that there exist a Spotify client called Fidelify (http://www.fidelify.net/) which (among other things) supposedly solves the original client's inability to handle gapless playback. Has anyone tried it? Comments?

I have very successfully been using Fidelify for a couple of years now with an easy fix. I have used the app in Windows Vista 32/64 bit, Windows 7 32/64 bit, Windows 8 64bit and currently Windows 8.1 64bit, with little to no issues.

Without the fix the application start-up screen freezes after partially loading, or gives an error. headbang.gif

Here is how I achieve a successful start-up step by step:

1. Set "Fidelify.exe" to "Run as an Administrator" by right click>Properties...

2. Prior to every program start delete the buffer directory in the Fidelify program directory. yeahright.gif

voilŕ! laugh.gif The program successfully loads! beer.gif

Here is a screenshot of Fidelify output via ReaRoute ASIO to REAPER.

Hope this helps some of you. wink.gif

R Lewis
+Quote Post
Kohlrabi
post Aug 2 2013, 08:44
Post #8

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 20561

Fidelify uses Spotify Core to deliver streaming content in a bit perfect stream directly to the soundcard, using either ASIO or WASAPI. In addition the player itself is optimized for minimal jitter.
This is the very definition of snake oil, and seeing the "fix" it seems to have the usability of xxHighend, too.

--------------------
Audiophiles live in constant fear of jitter.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 18:02