Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

FLAC tag and file size ?
Xrcr9709
post Feb 21 2012, 15:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Hello,

I just noticed that and at a first glance it looks weird to me.

I've encoded 11 FLAC files with FLAC Frontend. I've tagged them (without album cover), but I kept a copy of the untagged files.
When I compare their size, the tagged files and the non-tagged files have the exactly same size (in bytes).
(This changes of course if I add the album cover to the files.)

So why is that that add data to the file doesn't seem to make the file bigger ?
I guess I've used the standard tag files and maybe they have their place reserved even when they are empty ? Or something like that ?

Thank you for the info.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
basher
post Feb 25 2012, 23:06
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 97400

I have a question about tagging in FLAC files. I use the program Tagscanner for my tagging needs and I noticed something odd when I updated a few of the files with album art. The program shows you the bitrate and the compression ratio at the bottom right of the tagging window. When I added the album art, it increased the bitrate and the compression ratio. However, when I removed the album art, it kept the bitrate and ratio the same, which was odd because I expected it to revert back to the values before I added the art. I tried it in mp3Tag and that program showed me slightly different bitrate numbers which was odd because it should have shown the same numbers. Does this happen often to other people that tag FLAC files and if so, does this tagging information change the audio data in some way since the program is showing a difference in bitrate and compression ratio? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Basher
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:59