IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

Reply to this topicStart new topic
[USELESS/TOS #7] From: "Music Sounds Better on Vinyl", From Topic ID: 91248
botface
post Feb 16 2012, 17:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 50483

QUOTE (kraut @ Feb 16 2012, 15:24) *
One does not need samples and digitization to check out the replay quality differences. Just put on the best test LP with sinusoidal signal that you have and run it: Check at 1000Hz and above.
Then do the same with a cd. No, you do not need an blind A/B/X test, you just have to listen a few times.
The CD signal comes through clearly without any audible distortions

Well it seems Cliveb disgarees. See post 165. And I think you do need ABX to back up claims about audible differences on HA.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wombat
post Feb 16 2012, 17:49
Post #2

Member No.: 235

I don´t know if cliveb disagrees. He just talks about things he hears between the masters taken from vinyl to the cd versions he has.
Also he states these vinyl rips are well done. Still i can´t read that he thinks vinyl sounds the same as cd with exactly the same masters.
For me this Faron Young sample i talked about earlier sounds pretty average and the highs are not clean against other nice sounding cds. If this is the climax of LP then i don´t need it.
+Quote Post
botface
post Feb 16 2012, 20:07
Post #3

@wombat: I didn't say that Cliveb said the Cd and vinyl sound the same

@greynol: The differences Cliveb highlighted indicate that he could easily ABX the samples so there doesn't seem to be the need to ask him to do so. And his opinions were based on careful listening to the samples under discussion rather than a test signal
+Quote Post
greynol
post Feb 16 2012, 20:10
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (botface @ Feb 16 2012, 11:07) *
@greynol: The differences Cliveb highlighted indicate that he could easily ABX the samples so there doesn't seem to be the need to ask him to do so.

As were kraut's!

QUOTE (botface @ Feb 16 2012, 11:07) *
And his opinions were based on careful listening to the samples under discussion rather than a test signal

So the forum should only require double-blind test results for claims about the sound quality of test signals?

This post has been edited by greynol: Feb 16 2012, 20:33

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
botface
post Feb 16 2012, 20:56
Post #5

No, you should be asking for ABX results in all cases as the TOS specifies
+Quote Post
greynol
post Feb 16 2012, 21:00
Post #6

The differences kraut highlighted indicate that he could easily ABX them so there doesn't seem to be the need to ask him to do so.

Let's back up a bit, do you deny that vinyl cutting and playback has inherent distortion that does not exist in digital sampling and playback, or do you just deny that this distortion is audible?

This post has been edited by greynol: Feb 16 2012, 21:05

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
botface
post Feb 16 2012, 21:17
Post #7

Well, we know nothing of the test record or test CD used.
We know nothing of the signal itself other than it being “sinusoidal”.
We no nothing of how the test samples were prepared.
We know nothing of the perceived differences other than that “The LP signal always makes my skin crawl with the harmonics produced”.
We are not given the samples concerned to check for ourselves.

But if you’re happy with that then so am I
+Quote Post
greynol
post Feb 16 2012, 21:18
Post #8

That wasn't what I asked of you, nor does it excuse the other post that you appear to be providing as an example that was compliant. Furthermore, anyone who has followed this forum (let alone this subject!) should be more than familiar with kraut's equipment and ability to conduct a proper test.

Anyway, I already communicated my position on the matter. Perhaps another member of the administration/moderation team will be more sympathetic to your concerns in which case I will happily defer.

Again, I believe we would all benefit if kraut were to post a sample.

This post has been edited by greynol: Feb 16 2012, 21:29

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post
botface
post Feb 16 2012, 21:34
Post #9

I think I must have been replying to your post before you made the edit.

It seemed to me that Kraut was likening vinyl to compressed audio. Someone earlier in the thread said that vinyl can been seen as equivalent to 12bit audio (I'm paraphrasing there as I didn't trawl through the whole thread again). So it seemed to me that we should be treating any comparisons in the same way as we would a lossy codec. My first post was saying that I felt Cliveb had gone some way in doing that by making specific comments about comparisons between the uploaded samples but Kraut's evidence was hearsay.

Edit: You did it again! When I started my reply you post was not as it now stands. So I'm not sure my reply makes sense now. But yes, I agree, some samples would be welcome

This post has been edited by botface: Feb 16 2012, 21:41
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 16:12