Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Command-Line Arguments for FLAC (Read 22102 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Command-Line Arguments for FLAC

I am setting up Exact Audio Copy on my computer, and before I begin ripping my collection I am curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for improving the command-line arguments that EAC will be passing to FLAC for encoding.

I have ripped to FLAC in the past but I didn't really study FLAC or EAC beforehand, and probably just used the default arguments that came with EAC.

I know this is a matter of personal preference, but I am just wondering if anyone has some good encoding or tagging ideas I didn't think of.  Also, I am not very familiar with the technical side of FLAC, encoding, or tagging in general, and want to make sure I am doing things correctly and not causing any unforeseen problems with my output FLAC files.

To begin with, I found an old recommendation at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=30959
(Forum post titled "Eli's Suggested EAC settings for FLAC, See wiki for official EAC guides"):

-6 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -T comment="%e" -T "comment=EAC (Secure Mode)" %s

I read some of the FLAC documentation and mostly figured out what those arguments do (except for a couple of things I will explain below).

I decided I wanted to compress at level 8 instead of level 6 because I don't mind a longer encoding time and I don't have many albums to rip, so I changed -6 to -8.  I also learned that the placeholders in EAC have changed since that recommendation was posted, so I updated those.

Lastly, I decided to eliminate -T comment="%e" (or -T comment="%comment%" with the updated placeholder) for a few reasons:  I wasn't planning on entering another comment on the "Comment" tab in the EAC Compression Options; it isn't clear to me what would happen if I gave FLAC two comment arguments, even if I left the Comment field blank in EAC; and I don't know why the quotation marks are only around the placeholder instead of the entire argument in Eli's recommendation.  I wondered if there was a reason why he put comment="%e" instead of "comment=%e%", similar to how he wrote the other arguments, or if it was just a typo.  (It would be great if anyone could explain either of those questions!)

So I arrived at:

-8 -V -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -T "comment=Ripped Using EAC (Secure Mode)" %source%

Then when I went to actually paste this into the box in the EAC Compression Options, I saw that the default arguments in EAC covered all of those fields and more.  So I thought to myself, "Why not fill in those other fields too?" and arrived at the following arguments:

-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=Ripped Using EAC (Secure Mode)" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

Perhaps -o %dest% is required for the output files to follow the naming scheme I specified in the EAC options, but then I'm not sure why it wasn't included in Eli's recommendation.  I also don't know what the %lyricsfile% or %coverfile% would be, but I assume it is safe to include those in the output FLAC files.

So I am just wondering if anyone has any comments on my FLAC arguments, any improvements I can make, anything I might want to add or remove for any reason, and if anyone can clarify some of the things I don't understand.  Is there any unofficial (or official) standards for FLAC tagging or tagging in general that I should know about?  Will the above arguments transfer all of the CD-Text from the CD to my FLAC files?  Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do that?  Can these arguments cause any unforeseen problems with my output FLAC files?  What happens if I provide two comments to FLAC, as recommended by Eli?  Why did Eli use the quotation marks differently in -T comment="%e"?  Why didn't Eli include -o %dest% in his recommendation?  What is the meaning of life?

Sorry if that last question is off-topic.

Thanks everyone!

EAC Command-Line Arguments for FLAC

Reply #1
You could desire to add -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albuminterpret%". Foobar 2000 reads "Album Artist" tag, not "Albumartist".