Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD suddenly cannot burn CDs in my SuperDrive; do you have any ideas? (Read 4190 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD suddenly cannot burn CDs in my SuperDrive; do you have any ideas?

All,

I've been using XLD to import my CD collection as .cue+FLAC.  A few weeks ago, I was able to burn a CD within XLD (from .cue+FLAC) and verified that the burn had the same checksum as the original rip. I was thrilled at the ease of this with the software. After importing many many CD's (100+), I tried the same task this weekend and failed. The burn prompt displayed something like "writing track 1" very briefly and immediately went to "finishing cd". After the disk ejected the message "The burn to the SuperDrive drive failed. The disc drive didn’t respond properly and can’t recover or retry." was displayed. Nothing was written to the disc, and many retries since have ended in the same result. I can however burn .iso files in disc utility, and burn audio CD's in iTunes without issues. This makes me think that the problem could be software related, either with the 02262012 build, or some system update on my mac. I've tried the following...

1) Rebooted
2) Verified and repaired permissions on root filesystem
3) Uninstalled XLD, deleted all cache and preferences and reinstalled

So I'm stumped. I've googled and searched to no avail. If iTunes and disc utility also choked, then I would suspect a dying superdrive.

Any ideas?

Reply #1
Even though it doesn't sound like a faulty superdrive i would see if i could try an external drive. I have found Mac Superdrives absolute rubbish. They work some times and other times they don't. Depends what brand discs i was using ect... once buying an external never had any issues.

Reply #2
I went to an external drive shortly after I got my iMac. Agree that a superdrive is questionable at best. I got tired of fishing discs out that it wouldn't eject. The achilles heel of the iMac, IMO.

Reply #3
Looks like Superdrives will soon be the ting of the past. Last Mac i bough had no DVD/CD drive.

Externals are very cheap these days (not including Apples way over priced external)

Maybe try an older version of XLD an see if the issue still exists

Reply #4
Well, I tried cleaning the laser (wasted $18), running xld as root (in case write permissions were the problem), and a new batch of CD-R's. Nothing worked with XLD's burn routine.

USB drive, here I come.