IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Configuring Linux ALSA/Pulseaudio for best sound
chickpea23
post Mar 18 2012, 21:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97891

So I have been listening to a bunch of hokum and voodoo at some other head hifi forum where abx testing is banned and I need some reeducation.

I run linux at home and I use kde. As I understand little about sound and how all the parts of the linux sound system work together, I would like to help to make sure that my sound is being output in the best fidelity possible.

So I used KDE that means I have the phonon sound system on top of the pulseaudio sound server on top of the ALSA sound system (whew!).

My onboard soundcard is an HDA-Intel Realtek ALC275 that does 16/24 bitrate and 44.1-192 sampling.

So most of my music is in 16/44.1 FLAC format, but some is 24/96 FLAC.

I use amarok and deadbeef to play my music.

I just want to make sure that I am not doing any resampling that will introduce any distortion or noise.

Sorry if this a topic that has been answered numerous times, but I searched and couldn't find anything that helped answer this.

Thanks for the input.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Richard Kimber
post Apr 11 2012, 11:46
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 98632

QUOTE (chickpea23 @ Mar 18 2012, 21:27) *
I just want to make sure that I am not doing any resampling that will introduce any distortion or noise.

As I understand things. You have two options. One is to find a player that enables "passthrough" which effectively by-passes any re-sampling. The other is to use a dlna streamer (assuming you have a dlna enabled receiver). Linux is not (yet anyway) well served on the audio front. It all depends on what sort of music you play. If, like me, you have a need for gapless playing, then finding a solution that is both gapless and avoids resampling is quite hard (I haven't found one yet that will cope with all the different file resolutions that I have). I understand it's possible to run Windows players in Virtualbox, but I'm not keen to go down that route.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 00:25