IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Standard for tagging music files with artist's 'aliases'?
SoberWarlock
post Mar 21 2012, 15:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88553

What is the universal tag that identifies the artist's aliases so you can have a better search result for a well documented library of songs.

For Example:

Twista was known as "Tung Twista" in his early releases as a rap artist, but for every release I want to add an alias so I can remember that it is the same artist and I don't have to make more folders when I can put his discography in one folder labeled as "Twista".
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Mar 21 2012, 20:15
Post #2

Member No.: 46454

I don't have a solution, but I agree this is a problem.

Of the top of my head...

I have Santana albums and Carlos Santana albums.

I've got The Miracles, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, and Smokey Robinson. I might have the same exact recording released on 3 different albums with 3 different artist names.

The song Gloria was originally released by a band called Them (Van Morrison was the lead singer), and now it's considered a Van Morrison song, and the same original recording has been re-released on Van Morrison Greatest hits compilations.

And, didn't J-Lo used to be Jennifer Lopez? Or, is she still Jennifer Lopez?

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Mar 21 2012, 20:17
+Quote Post
BoraBora
post Mar 21 2012, 22:56
Post #3

Member No.: 18179

There is no proper solution to this problem, only kludges. The audio tag system is akin to a flat database. You can't have relationships between tags. So soulsearchingsun's suggestion, though flawed, is probably (and sadly) the best way to deal with aliases.

I did it the same way by creating a custom field (which I named LP ARTIST, but the name itself doesn't matter) filled with the exact name on the record cover while I fill the ARTIST field with the most known name.

So I may have these LP ARTIST:

* Johnny Cougar
* John Cougar
* John Cougar Mellencamp
* John Mellencamp

All of them will be "John Mellencamp" in the ARTIST tag.

DVDdoug: same method applied to your example:

LP ARTIST:

* The Miracles
* Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
* Smokey Robinson

ARTIST (multivalued, 2 tags for each track):

* Smokey Robinson
* The Miracles

I use exclusively Foobar2000 and has been doing so for years, so custom tags are not a problem for me. But using ARTIST SORTNAME is a better idea since much more players will read that tag.

This post has been edited by BoraBora: Mar 21 2012, 22:56
+Quote Post
SoberWarlock
post Mar 22 2012, 03:09
Post #4

Member No.: 88553

QUOTE (BoraBora @ Mar 21 2012, 22:56) *
All of them will be "John Mellencamp" in the ARTIST tag.

I use exclusively Foobar2000 and has been doing so for years, so custom tags are not a problem for me. But using ARTIST SORTNAME is a better idea since much more players will read that tag.

I have been using Foobar2000 for about a year now and my god is it such a light-weight, but at the same time powerful beast of an audio player. I do use custom tags as I started to notice that it was possible through this program and I have set up my template using "MP3Tag" so every release I own I have them similarly tagged.

So what your saying is name the artist by his/her current name and add a tag with it's alias at the time for a certain release? So that tag would be "ARTIST SORTNAME" what exactly does that read in most players? Is that where I put the artist alias name during the release at a specific time?
+Quote Post
BoraBora
post Mar 23 2012, 11:51
Post #5

Member No.: 18179

QUOTE (SoberWarlock @ Mar 22 2012, 03:09) *
So what your saying is name the artist by his/her current name and add a tag with it's alias at the time for a certain release? So that tag would be "ARTIST SORTNAME" what exactly does that read in most players? Is that where I put the artist alias name during the release at a specific time?

In most players, I don't know, since I'm Foobar-centric, which is why I don't care using a custom tag. But yes, the point is sorting on a tag (the most known artist name) and display another tag (the artist name used for each specific release).

I tag the collaborations the same way. "B.B. King feat. Mavis Staples" will be my custom tag, used for display, while the ARTIST tags will be "B.B. King" and "Mavis Staples" (multivalued) for sorting. Doing so allow me to keep the relationship ("&", "with", "feat" etc.) without having different artist tags with the exact same artists.

I even use it for some bands, when the name is simply a collaboration while omitting the names or surnames (sorry if that's not clear, I wish I could express myself better in english). Like "Otis & Carla" (Otis Redding & Carla Thomas), "Simon & Garfunkel", "Young-Stills", "Crosby & Nash" etc.

This post has been edited by BoraBora: Mar 23 2012, 11:52
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- SoberWarlock   Standard for tagging music files with artist's 'aliases'?   Mar 21 2012, 15:16
- - soulsearchingsun   Did you consider using the artist sortname and alb...   Mar 21 2012, 15:40
- - DVDdoug   I don't have a solution, but I agree this is a...   Mar 21 2012, 20:15
|- - BoraBora   There is no proper solution to this problem, only ...   Mar 21 2012, 22:56
|- - SoberWarlock   QUOTE (BoraBora @ Mar 21 2012, 22:56) All...   Mar 22 2012, 03:09
|- - BoraBora   QUOTE (SoberWarlock @ Mar 22 2012, 03:09)...   Mar 23 2012, 11:51
- - slks   Aphex Twin is an even worse case. He's used a ...   Mar 22 2012, 10:14
- - flaminio   Just one more data point, but I do what BoraBora d...   Mar 23 2012, 01:49
- - derty2   I use foobar2000 with Columns UI (alternative user...   Mar 23 2012, 12:52
|- - BoraBora   QUOTE (derty2 @ Mar 23 2012, 12:52) I hav...   Mar 24 2012, 00:41
- - derty2   My methods of working with my music collection hav...   Mar 24 2012, 11:18
- - Porcus   To make things a bit more complicated, a few of th...   Mar 24 2012, 12:03
|- - soulsearchingsun   QUOTE (Porcus @ Mar 24 2012, 12:03) The ...   Mar 24 2012, 17:49
- - LANjackal   I simply tag each track with whatever artist name ...   Mar 25 2012, 00:42
- - SoberWarlock   Alright I have made my mind. I have decided to go ...   Mar 29 2012, 17:03
- - D.Sync   I'm having such dilemma as well when dealing w...   May 17 2012, 07:39
- - Porcus   It's ARTISTSORT or ARTIST SORT, usually?   May 17 2012, 08:30
- - D.Sync   Not sure really. I'm using SORT ARTIST for now...   May 17 2012, 09:00

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 18:26