IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recommendation for USB audio interface, Low output impedance, low absolute noise level
googlebot
post Mar 31 2012, 13:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78779

I have a pair of excellent IEMs with 119 dB SPL/mW sensitivity, that aren't too easy to drive on conventional higher-impedance headphone outputs (2-way balanced armature, <27 ohms). I'm looking for a desktop USB interface with manual volume control, a headphone jack with low output impedance (~0 ohms), and a low absolute noise floor (due to the low sensitivity). Many manufacturers post their SNR figures, which do not help me decide, whether the latter requirement is really fulfilled. For example, with the IEMs plugged into an onboard Realtek ALC261 output, which has got a SNR close to 100dB, I can hear the SSD working.

I had a look at the E-MU 020x devices, which seem to be great, but their 22 ohm headphone output jack looks like a constraint for the intended usage.

Could you recommend anything else?

*** Edit: I just noticed: Sorry, wrong forum. Please move to 'Audio Hardware' if you find the time.

This post has been edited by googlebot: Mar 31 2012, 13:14
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Apr 13 2012, 01:33
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (googlebot @ Mar 31 2012, 08:00) *
For example, with the IEMs plugged into an onboard Realtek ALC261 output, which has got a SNR close to 100dB, I can hear the SSD working.

Sometimes noise from the audio interface traces back to bus contention in the PC. Treating the problem as electrical noise has no benefits.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 05:32