IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Quiet Stereo Amp Suggestions
PhantmShado
post Apr 12 2012, 08:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98709

My HK 3490 I use on my desk with bookshelves about 2 feet away from me always seems to have a low hiss noise (slightly louder on right channel then on left) that is always present at some volume regardless of chosen input. The noise at times bothers me more than other times just listening to the speakers, but if I plug in audio technica headphones (which I've found to be easy to drive) the hiss becomes unbearable.

To this end I was wondering if there are any stereo amps I might look at that eliminate this hiss? I currently use the optical in and so would like a replacement that also has that. The speakers are Linn Majik 109s and they are pointed in at me each at about 2 feet from my ear.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Apr 12 2012, 14:20
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

There are two possible sources in the receiver of the noise that is bothering you. It is either coming from the power amps, or it is coming from the peamps or pehaps a little bit of both. Don't dismiss the possibility that the noise is environmental, like HVAC noise or a lamp or something like that.

(1) Turn the receiver off. Still hear the noise?

(2) If the noise follows the setting of the power switch, then to determine where in the receiver it comes from:

(3) Disable the connection between the receiver's preamp and power amp. There seem to external jacks and switches that relate to this. Do you still have noise with the power amp inputs shorted? If so, you need less efficient speakers, or to move them further away from you, or some such.

(4) If the amp is sufficiently quiet by itself but you get noise when it is connected to the preamp, then you need to reduce the sensitivity of the power amp. This can be accomplished with the external in/out jacks and in-line attenuators Part Express's line of in-line attenuators

This post has been edited by db1989: Apr 12 2012, 14:30
Reason for edit: as in post #2
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 15:29