IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Quiet Stereo Amp Suggestions
PhantmShado
post Apr 12 2012, 08:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98709

My HK 3490 I use on my desk with bookshelves about 2 feet away from me always seems to have a low hiss noise (slightly louder on right channel then on left) that is always present at some volume regardless of chosen input. The noise at times bothers me more than other times just listening to the speakers, but if I plug in audio technica headphones (which I've found to be easy to drive) the hiss becomes unbearable.

To this end I was wondering if there are any stereo amps I might look at that eliminate this hiss? I currently use the optical in and so would like a replacement that also has that. The speakers are Linn Majik 109s and they are pointed in at me each at about 2 feet from my ear.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PhantmShado
post Apr 13 2012, 19:17
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 98709

QUOTE (Arnold B. Krueger @ Apr 13 2012, 05:22) *
QUOTE (PhantmShado @ Apr 12 2012, 22:01) *
Ok, I pulled the jumpers connecting preamp and amp and on both my living room and desk unit as I was curious. The hiss situation remained unchanged on the living room amp. However, listening to the desk speakers, the hiss rose to a regular music volume on removal of the jumpers. It was also still just the right channel though while the left remained very quiet.

If I get this right, your receiver's background noise was unchanged but still objectionable after you pulled the input to its power amp, but the noise was only objectionable in the right channel?

It's axiomatic that the channels of a stereo power amp should be audibly identical.

What happens if you switch the channels in the speaker wiring?

It is possible that the difference you hear is either due to the speaker or its acoustical environment.

If I am understanding what you wrote, when you pulled the inputs to your desk speakers, their noise level increased greatly, but again the channels were different, and again only the right channel was objectionable or was most objectionable.

What happens if you swap the locations of the speakers, L & R?

Is there a possibiliity that the high frequency response of your L & R ears varies?

I have two HK 3490s. The one I use in the living room where I am far away enough from the speakers I don't detect the hiss mainly has noise on left channel. When I disconnected the jumpers that noise was unchanged. For the one on my desk where the speakers are close enough the hiss bothers me, the noise is mainly on the right channel. Upon removal of the jumpers that right channel noise got much louder, while left remained nearly silent.

I agree both channels SHOULD be identical, but they are not. I question whether it somehow relates to poor wiring within the product.

If I switch the wiring the noise now comes out of the left speaker as expected. When I plug headphones in the noise is very clearly on the right channel.

It is not possible the noise is due to the speakers, the noise carries on to headphones.

I have not swapped the speaker locations, but I don't think this matters as both amps carry over their noise imbalances to the headphones jack.

The hiss honestly does not seem to be that high frequency. Also I can use just right ear to both and observe the same thing.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 05:12