Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Microphone Delay
mzso
post Apr 18 2012, 12:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43131

Hi!
I bought a microphone, plugged it in and I have an irritating few tenth of a second delay. Really annying becuse Its basically impossible to talk when you're hearing your ownvoice, withthis delay. I guess it would be similarly irritating if I would chat with someone else. Where should I look for the problem? (I have a xonar D1 with UNi Xonar drivers, if its any relevance)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Apr 19 2012, 12:12
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (mzso @ Apr 18 2012, 07:43) *
Hi!
I bought a microphone, plugged it in and I have an irritating few tenth of a second delay. Really annying becuse Its basically impossible to talk when you're hearing your ownvoice, withthis delay. I guess it would be similarly irritating if I would chat with someone else. Where should I look for the problem? (I have a xonar D1 with UNi Xonar drivers, if its any relevance)

As you are no doubt aware, your problem is latency.

There is software that analyzes the latency in audio interfaces. I don't know any names, but its out there and free. Google is your friend, but I bet someone reading this thread in the next day or two has a recommendation based on personal experience.

I suspect that you could measure the latency of the overall system by setting up a feedback loop and priming it with an acoustic click, and then analyzing the recording.

Other than the thrill of hearing yourself sound cool, there's really no reason to listen to your voice while you are recording. Bone conduction, room reverb, and all that. You are able to talk and sign without a monitor speaker going on in the background, right?

The reason vocalists use monitor speakers for live sound and recording is to hear the instrumental mix, and because the sound field from other sources may be so loud they have a problem hearing themselves. Neither should apply to you.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:00