Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Not Creating Subfolders For Rips (Read 6610 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Not Creating Subfolders For Rips

Afternoon chaps. I am sure I am  overlooking something simple but I am having a bad go of it trying to get proper subfolders for my rips.

Here is the current set up and I think it is correct but who knows?  I have the directory to rip to set as C:\EAC Rips\ . Then in the "filename" tab I have the file naming scheme set as %albumartist% \%albumtitle% \%tracknr1% - %title%. However, when I rip like this I get the rips in the C:\EAC Rips\ folder with no sub folders whatsoever. In the old naming scheme the rips would have been under something like this;

C:\EAC Rips\Artist's name\Album name\ the rips with track numbers and track titles.

What  am I doing wrong? I know this is in t he wiki and a search easily returned a thread from earlier this month saying to do essentially what I have done. Any ideas? And if there is an up to date configuration wiki for v1.0 b3 I would go there as well. Unless I am reading it incorrectly the current EAC guides are more geared toward v.95 thru v.10 b2? Anyway, there are references to the file naming schemes in b3 but no real guide to show you how it should read... I think. Thanks much.

Reply #1
Try removing the spaces before the directory separators i.e. %albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr1% - %title%

Reply #2
And if there is an up to date configuration wiki for v1.0 b3 I would go there as well. Unless I am reading it incorrectly the current EAC guides are more geared toward v.95 thru v.10 b2?
Yes, there has been some slowness in various guides, whether here or elsewhere, being updated to reflect the new placeholders from 1.0b2 onwards.

Anyway, there are references to the file naming schemes in b3 but no real guide to show you how it should read... I think. Thanks much.
How’s this? Old and new placeholders, for both encoding and file naming, are listed and compared.

Reply #3
Thanks for the responses. As I suspected, some of the syntax is likely wrong. I will futz around with it some more and post back.

Reply #5
Okay chaps, I have got this sorted. I know I must have had the placeholders incorrectly formatted. Here is what I wound up with and it works fine. C:\EAC Rips\%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr1% - %title%. Wit h a CD like Andres Segovia The Segovia Collection I now have a sub-folder under the EAC Rips main directory folder labeled 'Andres Segovia'(no quote marks of course). In that  folder is another sub-folder labeled 'The Segovia Colleciton (CD1). I think this is pretty logical way to have this arranged. Any further works by this artist would fall under the Andres Segovia sub-directory folder with a separate sub- folder for the individual CD title. This seems to work fine.

One more thing. Under EAC Optons> Fileanme I have checked the box for various artists. Its syntax is close to the same as the first  example but reads; %albumtitle%\%tracknr1% %title%. It worked okay with Celtic Tides A Musical Odyssey which is a various artists compilation CD. Rip was great. Its sub folder was fine. All was in pretty good order but I wonder if either of the placeholder strings mentioned should have some placeholder for track artist(s) added? If so, where would you place them if it was your choice? This more applies to the various artist CDs because I noticed the files EAC created did not mention the track artist . Would it be more useful when tagging things later since programmes like Mp3tag have a file to tag button that works pretty good. Anyway, thanks for helping me sort this. I am truly amazed at how well EAC works for a free piece of software. And now it grabs album art  too!

Reply #6
This has been discussed before on a few occasions.

I'd always use

%albumartist%\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% - %artist% - %title%

for single artist albums, and

Various Artists\%albumtitle%\%tracknr2% - %artist% - %title%

for Various Artist compilations. That way all albums are at the same depth from the root which can make automated processing easier, and the track name always contains all of the important details (actual artist and track name) so you can easily identify them in Explorer or in searches, and you can easily retag in case your tags ever get corrupted or overwritten.

Reply #7
Please note that the forum has a dedicated subsection for all topics related to CDs, to which I have moved this thread from General Audio.

a various artists compilation CD [. . .] I wonder if either of the placeholder strings mentioned should have some placeholder for track artist(s) added? If so, where would you place them if it was your choice? This more applies to the various artist CDs because I noticed the files EAC created did not mention the track artist .

In cases where the artist and title are (or must be) presented together, a commonly used format is to separate the two with a spaced hyphen: Artist Here - Title Here. Although I am wont to wince at the sight of a hyphen being used as if it were a dash, I suppose its convenience and potential compatibility make it a fair choice.  So, you could incorporate something like that into your current string. My suggestion for this format would be something like this:
Code: [Select]
Music\Compilations, Various Artists, or Whatever\%albumtitle%\%tracknr%. %artist% - %title%
Note that I prefer to group compilations in a folder of their own, prefer two-digit track-numbers for the sake of sorting (I know Windows can work around this, with whatever success, but not all other clients can), and have never decided upon a scheme of separators (dots, hyphens, dashes, etc.) that I really like; your opinions may vary!

Would it be more useful when tagging things later since programmes like Mp3tag have a file to tag button that works pretty good.

Are you ripping to WAV or some other format that does not support tags (at least in common usage) or planning to have your tags messed up at some later juncture? If not, this is not something you need to think about.

But if so, I suppose that yes, you can hardly lose by including more information rather than less. However, then I could ask whether you want to further populate your file-names with any other information such as the year, which I would include as Artist\[year] Album; the comment, which I (predominantly in the past tense) use for the catalogue-number from the spine; etc. Not that any of this is a bad idea, but you probably want to avoid having to worry about it if you can!