Post #1

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

Part 1:
http://www.themasterdiskrecord.com/2012/02...tal-age-part-1/

Part 2:
http://www.themasterdiskrecord.com/2012/03...tal-age-part-2/

Interesting stuff. So it's possible to keep the modern "sound" of clipressed CD masters without actually clipping anything, giving the same modern sound, but with better dynamics.

But sadly the resulting superior master must then be compromised for cutting to vinyl. Shame they don't just use that "vinyl" master for the CD! Why don't they? Because the client wants a clipressed CD.

Cheers,
David.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
polarhei
post Apr 30 2012, 18:29
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 99344

I have noticed at least a person has operated a pressing factory, I guess he must be crazy (On Youtube, the uploader is the person). However the mastering considers lots of thing including the microphones, the environment (because of the nature) and the media used.

Suppose the power of vinyl only relies on microphones. When I have obtain some vinyl rip and some remastered. I have notice something very interesting.

I have bought a re-mastered Dave's Time Out (K2HD is supposed strong, but it is failed because of Sony, the record like the first Re-mastered ), Ageing is the problem but the microphone used during recording is the most critical, After I have tried to tune up close to the environment, I guess in 1950-1960s, the microphones used cannot exceed -90dB so the Red Book Format introduced can put the signal in.

It looks like the microphones used are the major problem regardless the mono and stereo so there are lots of bad mastering after 1990s.

In the vinyl, you only need to consider the environment since the signal must be in analogue. If you are using digital recording ,then it is no need to make any vinyl copies since it is better to be made from tape with simple preparations (Just the wave,not calculated like film).
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 18:05