Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Easiest way to output HR audio through PC, Could use your help
Pok_Madui
post May 19 2012, 19:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91182

I'm about to buy a new PC, and I want to know how to efficiently output high-resolution digital audio DATA through it to a DAC (and then to an amp and headphones).

All of those Creative SoundBlaster cards seem too expensive and overly packed with unnecessary features, so I thought: "There has to be a way to just output the raw digital data from the PC straight to the DAC without any processing", But I haven't found any easy and cheap way to do it.

What I'm talking about (If you haven't quite got what I'm trying to say) is something like this device, but a lot more cheap and without any unnecessary features (and preferably integrated into the motherboard itself without the need for A USB connection for it).

If there is such a wonderful product (preferably with optical out), I would like to know about it.

Thanks in advance for all help.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LithosZA
post May 19 2012, 20:08
Post #2

Member No.: 88525

Some motherboards have onboard audio with SPDIF out. Alternatively you can get a USB-DAC.
+Quote Post
Pok_Madui
post May 19 2012, 20:27
Post #3

QUOTE (LithosZA @ May 19 2012, 22:08) *
Some motherboards have onboard audio with SPDIF out. Alternatively you can get a USB-DAC.

From what I understand, the data that comes through the S/PDIF in the soundcard is audio, not raw data. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

About USB-DAC's: USB doesn't support high resolution audio (above 16/48), as far as I know. Correct me on this if I'm wrong here too.
+Quote Post
phofman
post May 19 2012, 20:41
Post #4

Member No.: 97162

QUOTE (Pok_Madui @ May 19 2012, 21:27) *
From what I understand, the data that comes through the S/PDIF in the soundcard is audio, not raw data.

SPDIF passes PCM (i.e. wav format), I do not know what you mean by audio vs. raw data.

About USB-DAC's: USB doesn't support high resolution audio (above 16/48), as far as I know. Correct me on this if I'm wrong here too.

Not really, many recent usb dacs support 192/24, there are USB dacs with even higher samplerate.
+Quote Post
Pok_Madui
post May 19 2012, 21:15
Post #5

QUOTE (phofman @ May 19 2012, 22:41) *
QUOTE (Pok_Madui @ May 19 2012, 21:27) *
From what I understand, the data that comes through the S/PDIF in the soundcard is audio, not raw data.

SPDIF passes PCM (i.e. wav format), I do not know what you mean by audio vs. raw data.

Not really, many recent usb dacs support 192/24, there are USB dacs with even higher samplerate.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll guess I'll buy a USB DAC then.
+Quote Post
Apesbrain
post May 20 2012, 01:55
Post #6

Member No.: 10915

If you prefer an internal solution, Creative and ASUS both make PCI-E cards that output up to 24/96 and sell for under $50.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829102023
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829132052
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post May 20 2012, 12:06
Post #7

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (Pok_Madui @ May 19 2012, 14:30) *
I'm about to buy a new PC, and I want to know how to efficiently output high-resolution digital audio DATA through it to a DAC (and then to an amp and headphones).

All of those Creative SoundBlaster cards seem too expensive and overly packed with unnecessary features, so I thought: "There has to be a way to just output the raw digital data from the PC straight to the DAC without any processing", But I haven't found any easy and cheap way to do it.

What I'm talking about (If you haven't quite got what I'm trying to say) is something like this device, but a lot more cheap and without any unnecessary features (and preferably integrated into the motherboard itself without the need for A USB connection for it).

If there is such a wonderful product (preferably with optical out), I would like to know about it.

Thanks in advance for all help.

If you get a motherboard with a coax or optical digital output, which is a fairly common feature, you have what you need for listening to music for enjoyment. Sometimes the digital output is terminated with a connector on the board, and you will need an inexpensive optional connector on a bracket to bring the connection to the back panel of the PC.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:47