IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
What Form of Rating/Playcount am I using?, Can't figure if its the database or tag edit component etc.
ca5k
post May 24 2012, 00:45
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94775

Hey hey guys
I have Playlist Tools, Quick Tagger and foo_playcount all installed and I'm not too sure what one I have been using (for around a year or so)
I want to have the ratings and playcounts write to the actual tags, but I don't know what does what at this moment
I use quick tagger to assign shortcuts (ie CTRL + 2 for 2 stars etc etc) and every now and then I restart foobar to avoid losing any play data if it was to crash on me
so does anyone know what I am doing right/wrong to be able to view the ratings in the actual tags?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
D.Sync
post May 24 2012, 06:05
Post #2

Member No.: 41742

QUOTE (ca5k @ May 23 2012, 18:45) *
Hey hey guys
I have Playlist Tools, Quick Tagger and foo_playcount all installed and I'm not too sure what one I have been using (for around a year or so)
I want to have the ratings and playcounts write to the actual tags, but I don't know what does what at this moment
I use quick tagger to assign shortcuts (ie CTRL + 2 for 2 stars etc etc) and every now and then I restart foobar to avoid losing any play data if it was to crash on me
so does anyone know what I am doing right/wrong to be able to view the ratings in the actual tags?

Cheers

It's actually quite easy to check. Do a media library search and enter the following query 'rating PRESENT'. This will return all tracks that have the RATING tag embedded into the file itself.

Then do a '%rating% PRESENT' search. This will return all tracks that have the rating stored in other format (e.g. Playback Statistic, customdb etc.).

It's actually a matter of preference of whether to store the rating in the song or not. If you do a lot of backup (differential backup that compares the modified time), storing rating in the file will cause that file to be backup, which is kinda useless. On top of that, rating is a subjective matter and it wouldn't make sense to store it into the file tag itself if you share your music with others.
+Quote Post
marc2003
post May 24 2012, 06:08
Post #3

Member No.: 19379

if you have foo_playcount installed but want to see rating tags from your files, you need to use $meta(rating) in your custom columns, panels etc...
+Quote Post
ca5k
post May 24 2012, 07:33
Post #4

Member No.: 94775

Thanks for the heads up
Interestingly my rating PRESENT shows 888 results and my %rating% PRESENT shows 705
If the ratings are being stored to the tag, how would I go about seeing them/editing the rating or playcount outside of Foobar
Also, I don't share my music and the PC my music is on is only used by myself - so how would I go about seeing or editing the actual tag, say with MP3Tag or the likes?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 13:09