IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules

Please read foobar2000 Tech Support Forum Rules before posting and comply with all the points.
Failure to provide all the information pointed out in the above document in your post is considered wasting other people's time and in extreme cases will lead to your topic getting locked without a reply.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

"Fix VBR MP3 Header" on CBR files?
kidnukey
post Jun 1 2012, 20:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100297

The verify file integrity tool gives me a lot of "Warning: Reported length is inaccurate" results on my mp3 files. This is strange because I encoded most of them myself and maintain a checksum database of all my files, so I know corruption is not the issue. I'm assuming it was an old version of the LAME encoder which caused the problem.

I am aware of the "Fix VBR MP3 Header" utility to repair this issue, however, many of the files being flagged are CBR, not VBR. I've also read about a lot of issues with this feature in general (fixing the lengths in foobar but breaking them in another player, etc). I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with using a VBR utility to repair a CBR file, and any other information about what exactly this feature does would be helpful.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
kidnukey
post Jun 2 2012, 01:05
Post #2

Member No.: 100297

QUOTE (psycho @ Jun 1 2012, 23:08) *
I would try to use MP3val on those files instead and see what shows in fb2k afterwards... Should be OK then.

Thanks, I'll give this program a try. Scanning the files gives slightly different results, but probably more accurate since it's dedicated to mp3 errors.

QUOTE (db1989 @ Jun 2 2012, 00:45) *
How about Rebuild MP3 stream?

I am considering trying this out too, but I'm curious what exactly it does (how the file is affected) and I haven't been able to find much information yet.

This post has been edited by kidnukey: Jun 2 2012, 01:05
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Jun 2 2012, 22:41
Post #3

Member No.: 38207

QUOTE (kidnukey @ Jun 2 2012, 02:05) *
QUOTE (db1989 @ Jun 2 2012, 00:45) *
How about Rebuild MP3 stream?

I am considering trying this out too, but I'm curious what exactly it does (how the file is affected) and I haven't been able to find much information yet.

Beware that if the file is corrupted, then foobar2000 might crop away the corrupted part (or the rest of the file). I would guess you won't notice if playing back with foobar2000 my experience is that fb2k does the same as it would when playing. However, other players may react differently (corrupted mp3's are, techically, not mp3's there is no standard way to handle them, one player might handle a certain error better or worse than another, and I have no idea whether fb2k is any more or less clever than any other).

There is a tool I sometimes use, namely mp3packer: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=MP3packer
It repacks the mpeg stream, losslessly, and can also convert losslessly between VBR and CBR. Using brute-force compression it can sometimes even reduce your mp3's with a few percents. Which saves you a few cents worth of storage ... hardly worth it, unless your portable player is just a coupe of percent too small for your collection. But I've found it instructive just to see how (in)efficient CBR 320 is. Those files often compress down to 290 to 300 VBR.

But ... what harm does an inaccurately reported length really do? OK, I've downloaded (oops, did I say that?) bootleg recordings with extremely wrong lengths (like, many times the true length), and of course it might be annoying to see Cage's 4'33" displayed as 4:32 ... but AFAIK, foobar2000 will play them the same?

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 15:52