IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

What makes foobar a good FLAC player ?
elge
post Jul 10 2012, 19:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101310

Hi,

I'm a (Unix) system administrator, not a programmer, so my questions about development and the inner components of foobar2000 may seem a little naive to some of you. I'm also a passionate music listener, I'm equipped with a very good sound card and a premium HiFi installation: modified NAD + JMlab Onyx speakers. Foobar2000 is known by the audio community in France, like on the other parts of the world it seems, as the best FLAC and WAV player on Windows. To me, the quality with VLC is very good too, if not identical. But I've experienced a little less quality with Winamp + FLAC plugin. So here's my question. What makes Foobar2000 the player of choice for those who search for the best audio rendering ? I would like to know what FLAC decoder is used. I'm also interested in the specs of the MP3 decoder.

I have to say, the MAD MP3 decoder plugin on Winamp renders very good quality (as far as MP3 goes) and the FFSoX decoder plugin seems perfect to me for FLAC decoding (unlike the FLAC plugin). Does Foobar2000 use FFmpeg or SoX too ? So is the result supposed to be exactly the same with Winamp if I use the latter with that FFSoX plugin ?

In the end, does Foobar2000 = VLC = Winamp + FFSox ?

MAD Plug-in for Winamp: http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/mad-plugin/
FFSox: http://in-ffsox.sourceforge.net/

Many thanks

Pierre-Philipp
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
orgonebox
post Jul 16 2012, 01:14
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 96833

The reason Foobar2000 is the best FLAC, WAV, and nearly every other audio format player for me all pend upon its inexhaustible customization options and the dedicated community of generous programmers who offer an unparalleled palette of options so I can listen to music the way I like it.

It's up to you to make Foobar your ideal player, but you'll feel a deep sense of reward knowing (to whatever degree of approximation your apprehension of audio knowledge permits) your aural art gallery is exhibited the way you like it. No other player I have encountered allows the user to do what Foobar does. If there's better for the price (free), developer support, and general community, I'd like to know.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 13:22