IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Static On Records, Solution to Alleviate.
Engelsstaub
post Jul 13 2012, 06:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

Hey, guys: I was just wondering what some of you use to get rid of static on your LPs. I've been getting a few lately (usually from EU manufacturers) that are just loaded and impossible to play (and record) without an obnoxious amount of crackle. I try to kill it with an anti static cloth and some distilled water and it only seems to partially mitigate the problem.

Has anyone ever tried Static Guard? I'm not so eager to spend $99 USD on that static gun-thing, but all advice is appreciated.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mzil
post Jul 13 2012, 18:58
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 45913

You might try playing the records wet by misting the top surface with distilled water. [Actually, making the water slightly condcutive with say a tiny pinch of salt (per gallon) may be helpful in your "static problem" case , IDK, just don't use enough salt such that once dried it leaves any residue]

I've never done this but I've heard it has several advantages but also a major disadvantage. Once a record has been played wet it may have trouble being played back on any alternate needle configuration [spherical, elliptical, HE, micro line, etc] to the one you play it wet with, and never again can it be played dry without new issues which may be even worse.

The explanation given to me was that the water and the existing dirt/debris forms a "mud" which is successfully scraped through by the first needle but then deposits in areas the needle doesn't touch, and once hardened there makes that surface terrible for any other needle configuration which might attempt to use that soiled surface.

This post has been edited by mzil: Jul 13 2012, 19:16
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 17:52