IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Static On Records, Solution to Alleviate.
Engelsstaub
post Jul 13 2012, 06:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

Hey, guys: I was just wondering what some of you use to get rid of static on your LPs. I've been getting a few lately (usually from EU manufacturers) that are just loaded and impossible to play (and record) without an obnoxious amount of crackle. I try to kill it with an anti static cloth and some distilled water and it only seems to partially mitigate the problem.

Has anyone ever tried Static Guard? I'm not so eager to spend $99 USD on that static gun-thing, but all advice is appreciated.

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
AndyH-ha
post Jul 15 2012, 08:08
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24222

From some notes I found, this is the antic-static treatment I use, applied after I clean the LP. It will have no effect on a sound problem that does not arise from static electricity.

I've been using an anti-static treatment for some years now. It is one-time and permanent (can be cleaned off with a bit of effort). It reduces static below anything I can detect. It makes dealing with LPs much more pleasant: no longer the inner liners sticking to the LP, no longer the LP trying to take the mat off the turntable's platter, no longer dust being sucked in on the LP at every exposure.

The material is Cyastat SN, one of a number of probably equally effective cationic surfactants that should be available in quantity from many chemical supplies distributors. It was, and possibly still is, available from Old Colony Sound Labs (PO Box 876, Peterborough NH 03458), either by itself or as part of the "Williamson Record Care Kit."

The Cyastat is mixed after purchase with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol to make a 0.5% solution. I found that this solution dried before I could get the few necessary drops spread over the LP surface, so I diluted it 100% with more water to make a 0.25% solution. This is more convenient and works without any problem. I apply it with a Last brush, as that brush's small surface area absorbs the least amount of solution, but any record cleaning brush should work.

People have raised the fear that this treatment will somehow 'color' the sound, or produce some other undesirable effect. I have done what comparisons I could, including making before and after recordings both for a normal de-static treatment and for a multiple application treatment in which I applied six times the normal amount of Cyastat (allowing complete drying between applications).

The recordings were made through a quality 24 bit, 96kHz soundcard and analyzed with audio software. I can neither hear any difference nor measure any difference in the audio; the treatment just eliminates static from the disk surface.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 16:09