IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MP3Gain - getting overall library averages
BFG
post Jul 30 2012, 19:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101637

I have a quick MP3Gain question, for those familiar with the tool.
I know how to use Track Analysis, Album Analysis, etc. to get overall "sounds like" decibel levels for a given track or album.

But I'm interested in seeing what the overall "sounds like" level for my entire pre-ReplayGain library is. The only way I know to do that is to copy my entire collection into a single folder, treat it as an album, and do an Album Analysis. Is there a quicker way?

(I'm doing this because, rather than using the recommended dB levels of 83 or 89, I'd simply like to move everything to the "average" for my collection.)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BFG
post Jul 31 2012, 05:08
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 101637

Hmm, good points DVDdoug. I suspect the fact that avoiding clipping typically means reducing volume is the reason the most recent EBU recommendation is 80dB (-23 LUFS). The issue I see is that, if you reduce volume enough to avoid all clipping, you'll destroy the dynamic range in the process.

I suppose the best thing to do would be for me just to listen to several songs and decide if 89dB works for me, or if I need to set it somewhere else. Thanks.
+Quote Post
greynol
post Jul 31 2012, 06:49
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 13167

QUOTE (BFG @ Jul 30 2012, 21:08) *
The issue I see is that, if you reduce volume enough to avoid all clipping, you'll destroy the dynamic range in the process.

Not really, no.

What normally happens is that the loud files (which have little dynamic range) are matched to those that actually have dynamic range.

Also, bare in mind that mp3 is capable of greater dynamic range than what 16-bit audio can provide, which is already sufficient for just about any piece of music if not every piece of music ever tested under normal listening conditions.

--------------------
Your eyes cannot hear.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 06:02