Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Hello,

I'd be interested in a very good stuff to digitalise vynils and tape:
- A good tape deck with a line out
- A good phono preamp.

I saw this product: http://tascam.com/product/cc-222slmkii/
I'm not sure if I would use the CD burner or only line out to computer (with Asus Xonar Essence STX).

Do some people have experience with it ? Any down sides/comparisons to mention ?

Also, I see that several devices of that brand have "MKII" or "MKsomething" in their name. What does it refer to exactly ? I did not get it yet, I though it could be about the phono preamp.

Thank you for your info.

This post has been edited by Xrcr9709: Aug 5 2012, 12:05
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mzil
post Aug 6 2012, 16:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 45913

Tape decks hardly exist anymore, so it would be difficult to suggest an alternative when there are almost none left on the market. Do you have a collection of cassette tapes yet no functioning tape deck? Ideally I'd use the same deck to play the tapes that recorded the tapes since this will hopefully ensure that the head alignment will be matched (azimuth), short of using an oscilloscope with calibration tapes you can't find easily and more importantly weren't made on the original recording deck of your tape collection, documenting its head alignment, or just winging it by ear.

"Dolby B" only? I would think for this kind of price they could have afforded to offer the stronger Dolby C option too, at the very least, as almost all other decks made, when cassette decks were still on the market from many makes, almost always had. Yes, in a pinch you can play Dolby C encoded tapes with Dolby B, or nothing at all, but its not recommended.

Frequency response for normal tapes 50 - 10kHz +/- 3dB, and "High position" 50-12.5kHz +/- 3 dB? That's rather poor. I'd pass.

Auto reverse? Just like the best turntables are never fully automatic, the best cassette decks are never auto reverse . I'd pass. [except for a Nakamichi Dragon or RX202/505 which have trick forms of "auto-reverse", not conventional]

OK here's my alternative suggestion for you:

- Use your existing tape deck so you have matching head alignment from recording deck to playback deck for the tapes you made, at least (short of it having become misaligned from, say, a fall or bump) or buy a used one from the 1980/90s (without autoreverse), say, by JVC, Sony, Denon, Nakamichi, Revox, Hitachi, TEAC, or Tascam) with a better frequency response, only if you no longer own a working deck.

- Use your existing phono preamp in your existing receiver/pre amp (sending the signal via the "tape out" jacks). [As was mentioned earlier, the bottleneck is really the format you are playing, not what phono preamp you use.]

- Buy the affordable, outboard boxed Behringer UCA-202 to digitize (away from the EMI/RFI noisy innards of your computer) to USB, and if storing on your hard drive isn't enough, make copies onto CD with your computer's CD burner. [The similar UFO-202 would also include a phono preamp if your current receiver/preamp doesn't have "phono".] And if your computer doesn't have a CD burner, buy one; the are very inexpensive.

This post has been edited by mzil: Aug 6 2012, 17:20
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 15:04