Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Enqueue and play/Viewer Selection autoplaylist (Read 3565 times) previous topic - next topic

Enqueue and play/Viewer Selection autoplaylist

Hi.

First and foremost, I apologize if this has a workaround. I have spent a couple of hours googleing thru forums and messing with plugins with no success, so I'd like to make a feature request. I have read about editing the registry and whatnot, but it just complicates things. I see these functions as really user friendly, intuitive, and sort of a basic need for an average user.

I'd really like/hope/pray that these features be implemented into foobar2000 (and would be most grateful):

- Enqueue and Play explorer shell option along with Play in foobar2000 and Enqueue in foobar2000, or simply the option to make the playlist permanent upon adding files with Play option, since most media players have it, and it is useful when you need to play something on the fly, without adding it to the library

- Alternative to above mentioned is a Now Playing playlist that exclusively acts that way and has Play Now with foobar2000

- Library Viewer Selection Playlist to behave as autoplaylist so it can update without the need to refresh it manually by opening Album List, especially the first time, since it's purpose is to be generated from the Album List itself

Thank you for reading.

Reply #1
a Now Playing playlist

I don't know what such a playlist is. Every playlist that has the playing item is, in fact, the "now playing" playlist.

Enqueue and Play explorer shell option

It could be that under Preferences > Shell Integration >
  • Always send files to playlist _____[/b] you will find what you want.

Reply #2
a Now Playing playlist

I don't know what such a playlist is. Every playlist that has the playing item is, in fact, the "now playing" playlist.

Enqueue and Play explorer shell option

It could be that under Preferences > Shell Integration >
  • Always send files to playlist _____[/b] you will find what you want.

Now Playing playlist is same to Default playlist when you when you use "Always send to playlist: Default" (I am aware that I can set Always send to: Now Playing - naming is not an issue here). However, it doesn't get overwritten when using the Play shell context function/double click on a file in a folder, it always adds files and plays them. That's why I stated that it might be an alternative to adding a shell context option "Enqueue and Play", since Now Playing always behaves that way. It is something like a playlist with unsorted, randomly added from all over your computer files, that aren't even in your library. Like when you download song.mp3 and just go ahead and play it - it gets enqueued and automatically played in Now Playing playlist.

WMP and WinAmp both have it:
http://nunzioweb.com/images/winamp/now-playing-installer.png
http://neuerdings.com/wp-content/uploads/2..._NowPlaying.jpg

And always send to playlist either overwrites the playlist and plays the file, or simply enqueues the file without automatically playing it, if Enqueue is the default context option.

ADDENDUM: There is an option Media Library -> Library viewer selection playlist -> Activate when changed and Media Library -> Album List -> Playlist interaction -> Start playback when sending selection to playlist. These two combined should be the shell context option "Enqueue and Play in foobar2000" when working with files from folders in Windows Explorer (linux perhaps too).

My take on what I'd like:

ADDENDUM 2: Perhaps consider to add an option to shell context menus to expand and allow user to select what playlist he/she wants to enqueue/play/enqueue and play the selected file. Although Always send to playlist: is just fine!

PS: reminder for autoupdating Library Viewer selection playlist behavior

Thank you again for reading.

Reply #3
Do you know you can double-click the statusbar to jump the selection to the currently playing song (and playlist)?

Reply #4
Do you know you can double-click the statusbar to jump the selection to the currently playing song (and playlist)?

I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the response, but I don't see how this fits with my requests, since most of them are Windows shell context related?