IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Guide for idiot to testing ipod with RMAA needed, Brief but enough
4sure
post Aug 10 2012, 15:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79019

Hi there. Can someone a little bit bother to explain (briefly) how to measure ipod etc. with RightMark Audio Analyzer?

--------------------
"In the beginning was the Audiophile"
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
extrabigmehdi
post Aug 10 2012, 15:48
Post #2

Member No.: 72330

From an ipod, that doesn't seem trivial. I looked at the NwAvGuy blog, and they don't seem to use that kind of test:
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/testing-methods.html

My guess, of how we could perform a rmaa test from an ipod:
you'd put in the ipod a lossless record of a high frequency matching the one used by the rmaa test, and then you'd connect the ipod to the line in of some soundcard.

+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Aug 11 2012, 10:51
Post #3

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (extrabigmehdi @ Aug 10 2012, 10:48) *
From an ipod, that doesn't seem trivial. I looked at the NwAvGuy blog, and they don't seem to use that kind of test:
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/testing-methods.html

If memory serves, he's using Spectra Lab. Great product, costs a lot of money.

I tested a ton of equipment with Spectra in the late 90s and early 2000s. Then a really smart Russian came up with the Audio Rightmark program that basically automates what I was doing manually with Spectra. Guess what I use today? ;-)

My guess, of how we could perform a rmaa test from an ipod:
you'd put in the ipod a lossless record of a high frequency matching the one used by the rmaa test, and then you'd connect the ipod to the line in of some soundcard.

No, you use RMAA to make one of its test files which would be a 2-3 minute wav file, convert that into whatever the player works well with (preferably lossless) and then record the output of the player with the best computer and audio interface that you could muster. Along the way you may have to boost the amplitude of your recorded file to get it within the range Rightmark wants. You will probably have to trim it.

This post has been edited by Arnold B. Krueger: Aug 11 2012, 10:53
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:25