IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

USB Microphone Internal Noise?
zerowalker
post Aug 10 2012, 17:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92828

I got a Samson C03U, and i am happy with it and all, except for one thing.
I here a low noise from it, anditīs there even if i Mute the microphone, so i am thinking itīs either the driver or the DAC or something?

Anyone know if it can be fixed or if i have to live with it:)?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mixminus1
post Aug 11 2012, 17:01
Post #2

Member No.: 20097

There's a good chance that the webcam employs a combination of noise reduction and gating as it is designed for communication applications and not recording.

Since the Samsung is a one-box product - microphone, preamp, ADC, and USB audio interface all in one chassis, and most likely all on one circuit board - there's really nothing you can do except get a different microphone/recording interface if you're dissatisfied with it's noise performance.

This is a very good reason to not go the all-in-one route in the first place. smile.gif

--------------------
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Aug 12 2012, 12:45
Post #3

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (mixminus1 @ Aug 11 2012, 12:01) *
There's a good chance that the webcam employs a combination of noise reduction and gating as it is designed for communication applications and not recording.

Since the Samsung is a one-box product - microphone, preamp, ADC, and USB audio interface all in one chassis, and most likely all on one circuit board - there's really nothing you can do except get a different microphone/recording interface if you're dissatisfied with it's noise performance.

This is a very good reason to not go the all-in-one route in the first place. smile.gif

Minor correction - the product is a Samson (low end pro audio supplier) not a Samsung.

If memory serves, the CO3 is a dual-capsule multi-pattern version of the C01 (I own two copies of the C01) . It's neither worse nor better than most other pro mics on the hiss front.

Often hiss in products like this is due to problems with gain staging - there are several gain controls in the path, and you can get the same end result various ways. The usual best approach is to run the gains early in the chain as high as is reasonably possible without clipping, and loose any excess gain as close to the end as possible.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 14:24