Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Remove silence from mp3s (Read 4167 times) previous topic - next topic

Remove silence from mp3s

hiho,
long time since i posted last, but now i have a question about music so u guys are my first idea

I have a bunch of songs that are ripped from web radios, youtube etc which have "silence" parts at the end or the beginning.
Before i start cutting all of them in Audacity or mp3directcut, i wanted to know if there is a tool which does things like this automaticcaly for me;)

I useed foobar2k fpr years so i activated the Skip silence option and rly forgot about it, but since i bought the ipod Nano i use itunes and cant find such a feature...

can u help me? or do i have to wirk myselfe through my library by hand?

Remove silence from mp3s

Reply #1
GoldWave has a batch processing feature that will let you use any of its effects (one of which is silence reduction) across large numbers of files.

However, if your files aren't lossless, audio quality will be degraded by doing this, since it involves decoding them for editing, then re-encoding. Whether the quality degradation will be audible is another question, but if you're worried about it - MP3directcut doesn't do any re-encoding, so it would be the "safest" way to go in terms of sound quality.

Remove silence from mp3s

Reply #2
mp3DirectCut is the only software I know, that claims to allow splitting  of mp3 files without re-encoding.

Remove silence from mp3s

Reply #3
There is also mp3SPLT

Remove silence from mp3s

Reply #4
I've used mpTrim to do what you describe.  It does not transcode.  It has a batch mode, but I think it's only available in the paid version.