IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Audiophile hi-fi market and balanced connections
Brand
post Aug 26 2012, 14:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75355

Even many cheap-ish $100 sound cards have balanced connections.
Yet, for a $4,295 "audiophile" amp, it's somehow normal to have unbalanced analog only. (But hey, you get a "Digital Filter Slope" switch..)

Am I missing something or is this just regular audiofoolery at work?

I was doing some RMAA tests and the cables were very susceptible to outside interference. Place them next to some other (power) cables and you easily see 20dB of extra noise in the measurements.
Sure, it's not really a problem with short cables that you keep away from interference, but for premium/audiophile equipment I'd still expect balanced connections to be the standard by now.

This post has been edited by Brand: Aug 26 2012, 14:39
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
smok3
post Aug 26 2012, 18:00
Post #2

A/V Moderator

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1922

QUOTE (Brand @ Aug 26 2012, 15:38) *
Even many cheap-ish $100 sound cards have balanced connections.
Yet, for a $4,295 "audiophile" amp, it's somehow normal to have unbalanced analog only. (But hey, you get a "Digital Filter Slope" switch..)

Really? i guess iam out of touch this days, but i thought balanced is pretty much pro-audio stuff.
(But whats 4295 for such a cute front-plate, you know you want it...)

QUOTE (Brand @ Aug 26 2012, 15:38) *
I was doing some RMAA tests and the cables were very susceptible to outside interference. Place them next to some other (power) cables and you easily see 20dB of extra noise in the measurements.
Sure, it's not really a problem with short cables that you keep away from interference, but for premium/audiophile equipment I'd still expect balanced connections to be the standard by now.

Obviously you would want to use some digital connection.

(personally my only home hi-fi this days is osx box with unbalanced analog connections to old marantz amp, very danceable, dustlifting device)

This post has been edited by smok3: Aug 26 2012, 18:07

--------------------
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:47