IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lame 3.99.5 outputs smaller files than 3.97 ?
gourdo
post Sep 2 2012, 04:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28576

I ripped most of my CD collection about six years ago with LAME 3.97b with the V2 preset. I recently had a hard drive crash and had to re-rip pretty much everything. Fortunately, i still had all the physical discs stored and in excellent condition, so I lucked out this time. I downloaded the latest version of LAME 3.99.5 to re-rip.

As it turns out, a few albums of the original 3.97 rips survived the crash (saved to an external SD card), so I was able to compare a number of tracks. I noticed that pretty much every newly ripped song had a lower bitrate (5-10kpbs) and file size than the ones ripped with 3.97. Is this to be expected due to the improvements in compression techniques made to LAME over the past several years? I suppose I would have expected the V2 preset to hover around the same average bitrate as the encoder improves, and that it would use the extra headroom to improve quality in difficult passages...
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
shadowking
post Sep 3 2012, 09:44
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 11664

Its the 'fix' for sfb21 bloating. Forcing -Y on both 3.98 and 3.99 will show very similar bitrate.

--------------------
Wavpack -b450x1
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 09:51