IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Amp for small studio
tarkovsky
post Oct 27 2012, 03:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104112

I own a really small studio at 270 square feet (~15 feet X 18 feet). I'm putting a sound system in and my main question is about the amp. We of course have neighbors all around us. I want it to sound good. I like nice lows when I listen to music, and during movies it would be nice to hear the voices clearly. It obviously doesn't need to be too powerful.

I was wondering, about what level of rms amperage should i be looking at? Also, I am partial to Yamaha amps, anyone recommend one that may suit my needs? My wife also likes/wants karaoke, but maybe that will we'll accomplish using another device, some blue ray players have that option i've seen. Just in the dark on that as i have never set up karaoke before.

Thanks!!

This post has been edited by tarkovsky: Oct 27 2012, 03:40
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Nessuno
post Oct 27 2012, 10:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 86562

You should think about speakers first, as now they are the principal (maybe only, if the electronics are not flawed) responsible for the characteristical sound of a reproduction chain. If you like a certain speakers sound and they match your room dimensions, then from the figure of their sensibility you'll know how powerful an amp must be to drive them to reach the sound pressure you want.

That said, in a small room, with matching small speakers, to reach neighbors matching sound pressures, any good spec-ed amp (usually Yamaha are) from, say, 30 or 50 W RMS per channel up will do.

--------------------
... I live by long distance.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 22:40