Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Google Play Music streaming specs? (Read 6474 times) previous topic - next topic

Google Play Music streaming specs?

I use Google Play Music to stream on my Android phone when I'm in the car. It works pretty well most of the time, but in areas with a weak signal, it often drops out and stutters.

I know that when you upload music, Google transcodes AAC and FLAC into 320kbps mp3:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/a...;answer=1100462

My first questions is: when it streams to the app, which format/bitrate are they streamed in? My guess would be mp3, but I can't find any confirmation of this.

A second question: if it is mp3, would streaming in a different codec that performs better at a lower bitrate result in a better experience (fewer dropouts)?

And a third: are there any other similar streaming services that do stream your library in a codec optimized for mobile?

(2nd and 3rd questions depend on the answer to the first, of course.)

Reply #1
A second question: if it is mp3, would streaming in a different codec that performs better at a lower bitrate result in a better experience (fewer dropouts)?

And a third: are there any other similar streaming services that do stream your library in a codec optimized for mobile?

(2nd and 3rd questions depend on the answer to the first, of course.)

As far as I know, vorbis gets translated as well.

There is a setting somewhere to always stream at maximum possible rate, so that at least hints that the default is something less.  It would be nice if you could specify, for example, to use lower rate for phone data or phone data via hotspot (ie capped and/or metered usage) and higher rate on cheap wifi connections.

I ended up loading most everything up at lame v5, figuring that it would then stream back at that same rate.

Reply #2
Here's part of the answer for the first question:

When playing your music from the cloud, Google Play will detect the speed of your internet connection and adjust the bit rate based on available bandwidth. Music will be played at a higher bit rate (up to 320Kbps) when using a fast internet connection.

Google Play offers the option to only stream songs at high quality, regardless of the bandwidth currently available.

Reply #3
Chats with the Google Music help team have gotten nowhere, unfortunately.