Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MiniDisc: Optical to Optical ?
Xrcr9709
post Nov 25 2012, 14:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Hello,

I have sond MiniDiscs that I would like to archive in .wav fies (or .flac, whatever).
My soundcard is Asus Xonar Essence SXT witch includ of TOSLINK input with a SPDIF adapter.
If I manage to get a MiniDisc with optical output ...

Basically, I just need to connect output to input and then hit record in some software ? (Audacity, Sound Forge) as I would do with any analog recording but the recording will be digital ?
Or does it work another way ?

Thank you for informations.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Xrcr9709
post Dec 5 2012, 02:03
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 70735

Not working ... at least for now but it's terribly confusing ...

First I had to install a Virtual Box virtual machine with my old WinXP license.
Then I installed the MD drivers, SonicStage 4.3 and "WAV conversion tool" found through Sony's page about this MD model.

SonicStage 4.3 seems to look a lot like "Open MG Jukebox" in terms of functionalities and it won't copy tracks from my "good old MDs" to hardrive. I get some message that says that for some poorly explained reasons this transfers are not possible with my computer or my MD. (I guess it would not "copy" them but actually "transfer" them, which is not what I want. But I recorded random sounds with my "classic MD" on a remaining blank disk to do some tests.)

So, SonicStage currently doesn't help me getting any kind file out of my MDs.

"WAV conversion tool" conversion tools say that I need to have SonicStage 2.1 or higher ... I can only find upgrades for SonicStage 2.x, not complete installations, and I read that a lot of people have problems with it.
I got a CD with the Hi-MD recorder, it has SonicStage 2.0 but it looks like I can't update it ... When trying to transfert, it says approximately the same as version 4.3, but with just the strict minimum of words to compose a sentence.

This post has been edited by Xrcr9709: Dec 5 2012, 02:12
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 17:42