IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Frequency Response of Vinyl, Split from "To get into vinyl, or not?" (TOS #5)
almostmitch
post Dec 3 2012, 20:15
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104798

QUOTE (botface @ Dec 3 2012, 13:49) *
I guess you can expect a factory installed arm/cartridge to be set up properly. I'd still want to check though even if only for reassurance that things haven't gone "off" in transit.

This was something I considered. I will most likely double check things, because as you implied, you never know what kind of beating the box took in transit.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BFG
post Dec 4 2012, 00:16
Post #2

Member No.: 101637

This whole conversation has me intrigued about the technical limitations of vinyl. For example, is there a minimum or maximum frequency that can be "encoded" in vinyl (akin to the ~20Hz and 44.1kHz cutoffs on digital CDs)? Does this differ for 33s, 45s, 78s? Is there a way (based on the needle tip and equipment setup) for a knowledgeable person to precalculate the bands that the most noise interference will likely be in, and thus minimize or remove it? Etc.

It's particularly pertinent as I'm planning to attempt a vinyl-to-FLAC encoding soon.

This post has been edited by BFG: Dec 4 2012, 00:17
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Dec 4 2012, 01:37
Post #3

Member No.: 30694

You might want to review the vinyl myths page in the wiki, especially where it talks about frequency limits.

You will find that different records have a different-sounding "whoosh" of noise imparted by the rush of the groove vinyl along the stylus, so I can't imagine any way to predict that noise exactly. Speed is one of many factors in that.

This post has been edited by mjb2006: Dec 4 2012, 01:42
+Quote Post
BFG
post Dec 4 2012, 01:44
Post #4

Member No.: 101637

QUOTE (mjb2006 @ Dec 3 2012, 18:37) *
You might want to review the vinyl myths page in the wiki, especially where it talks about frequency limits.

You will find that different records have a different-sounding "whoosh" of noise imparted by the rush of the groove vinyl along the stylus, so I can't imagine any way to predict that noise exactly. Speed is one of many factors in that.

Ah! That makes for an interesting read, and does indeed answer many of my questions. Thanks for pointing it out.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:52