IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

A/B "Speaker Split" Yamaha RX-V373
tarkovsky
post Dec 15 2012, 05:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104112

I read through the online manual and could not get an answer. My question is can the RX-V373 be configured to "split" to two separate pairs of speakers? I remember my dad's old amp had an "Speakers A" "Speakers B" switch if I remember correctly. What I want to do is have 2 speakers in my living room, and perhaps wire two more speakers to my balcony in the future. Could the 2 sets be selected so I can listen to either living room or balcony at one time?

Thanks for any input.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mzil
post Dec 15 2012, 08:37
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 45913

The Yamaha RXV373 does not have the ability to normally run two pairs of stereo speakers simultaneously.* Adding a device like this to the front main output will achieve that and includes a defeatable protection switch, which I would advise using, unless both pairs are 8 ohm or higher. You don't need the protection engaged if you are running only one pair:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pyle+-+PSS4+Fo...p;skuId=4455712

*if you are running a surround sound configuration in the main room, that is. If you only want stereo in two rooms, then there is a trick way, not discussed in the manual, by using the "rear surround" terminals for the speakers "B", using a specific surround mode. The front speakers will always be on, and when you engage "5-channel stereo" the rear surround speakers will be the secondary "B" speakers for another room (or "zone" as they like to call it), driven by their own, dedicated, internal amp. In the set up part it might need to be configured with NO center speaker for this to work properly, or the center stage musicians will seem absent. This trick only works if you have no interest in setting up a 5.1/surround speaker set up in the main room. If you do, then stick to buying a speaker selector box such as that one I gave a link to.

edit to add: I see some places other than Bet Buy have it for less with free shipping, too:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5714...SS4_4_High.html

There may be even less expensive ones at places like monoprice, but be sure they have a protection switch and are rated for 100 watts/ch at the very least.

This post has been edited by mzil: Dec 15 2012, 09:03
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:07