IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Yet another, "What speakers should I buy?" thread.., Lots of options, maybe you guys can help choose what's best for me
almostmitch
post Jan 23 2013, 15:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104798

I'm in the market for some new speakers, but I'm having a hard time deciding. My room is about 17' x 25' and I want the speakers to pack a punch and have plenty of bass. I was going to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers like these until I was told they may not be ideal unless they are at ear level and positioned correctly. I want the speakers to fill the room and sound good in various positions, and I'm not sure if different types of speakers/woofer arrangements would be better suited for this. I also saw a pair of studio monitors mentioned in another thread. I like the large woofers of the studio monitors, however, I just purchased this reciever to use with the speakers I have and for new ones but I know studio monitors are powered. So I'm wondering how, if at all, these monitors work with a receiver (not too familiar w/ these). I was also considering some floor standing speakers, but nothing specific. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, or clarification would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
almostmitch
post Jan 28 2013, 14:48
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 104798

QUOTE (RonaldDumsfeld @ Jan 25 2013, 17:59) *
Might I be disappointed in the flatter sound of monitors?

Yes. At first. I was anyway.

how well they perform in your larger sized room?

I don't personally have a problem with it. I replaced 2 old dome dome tweeters and 4 five inch cones in a big boxes run off a 120W/ch receiver with 2 diaphragm tweeters , 2 4" midrange cones and a 7" woofer all powered by a total of 250W. Pretty even really. I dare say if an engineer with silliscope came round and did some measuring he might find some off axis response errors. Point is. If you are listening at that volume level you are either dancing or drunk. So it doesn't really matter that much.

So even though they maybe flat, you can bring the so called "coloration" of bookshelf speakers to them using an EQ, correct? And despite your unfortunate experience with Behringer, their passive monitors are still at the top of my list. I'm just not seeing many that can match their price, woofer size, and reviews.

QUOTE (markanini @ Jan 27 2013, 08:44) *
Just to throw out some option: Event 2020 and Alesis M1. Both avaliable in active and passive. Since seems you wont be sitting directly in front of the speakers you might actually be well served by the it's tone controls on the reciever to compensate for high frequency loss due to air absorption.

I think I'd rather have a larger woofer than what's on the Alesis's, which leaves it up to the Event's or the Behringer's. I didn't find the passive Event's for sale online, though they did look like a good possibility.
Anyone know of a crutchfield-esque website for studio monitors and other hi-fi gear?

At this point it's looking like the Behringer TRUTH B2031P's unless anyone has any further suggestions at that price point.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 22:50