Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Trying to identify a stolen/borrowed musical theme
cliveb
post Jan 31 2013, 11:58
Post #1

WaveRepair developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 15845

It's been a very long time (ie. several years) since I last listened to "Trepass" by Genesis. When I got to the track "Stagnation", I heard at the end a theme which struck me as very familiar. Here it is:

Attached File  stag_frag.mp3 ( 175.05K ) Number of downloads: 222

I am convinced I have heard this exact same theme used somewhere else, but played on electric guitar, and am now wracking my brains to try and figure out where. It's not important, of course - it's just bugging me. Can anyone help?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Engelsstaub
post Jan 31 2013, 12:28
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 78200

That does have a familiar sound to it. I can't place it or think of anything it may have been jacked from, but it's possible that it's just that sort of tune that gives one a bit of déjà vu. (...or maybe it was borrowed and somebody else knows from whence. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.)

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
+Quote Post
cliveb
post Jan 31 2013, 17:54
Post #3

WaveRepair developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 15845

QUOTE (Engelsstaub @ Jan 31 2013, 11:28) *
I can't place it or think of anything it may have been jacked from...

Given that Trespass was released in 1970, and the guitar theme going round in my head sounds much more recent, my feeling is that someone else stole the theme from Trespass, not the other way round.

Or perhaps it's a motif from classical music that rock bands have ripped off on multiple occasions?
+Quote Post
BFG
post Jan 31 2013, 19:38
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 101637

QUOTE (cliveb @ Jan 31 2013, 10:54) *
Given that Trespass was released in 1970, and the guitar theme going round in my head sounds much more recent, my feeling is that someone else stole the theme from Trespass, not the other way round.

Or perhaps it's a motif from classical music that rock bands have ripped off on multiple occasions?

Wow, that does sound familiar...but I can't place it either. I assume MusicBrainz/Picard didn't come up with anything?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:34