Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

VHS to Mac using only RCA+USB cable, [TOS #6: moved from Digital A/V News]
yoe91
post Feb 18 2013, 16:25
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106727

Hey guys,
I live in Qatar, and I found this cable with USB on one end, and RCA on the other. It's tough to find stuff that's too specific here, and ordering online is a huge hassle. I really need to get rid of a bunch of tapes and the VCR itself quick...

Question:
Can I at least view (and then possibly record/digitalize) those VHS tapes on my Mac through that cable ? There has to be a way...I mean to connect my TV to the VCR, all I need is double RCA.
PLEASE help, this would mean the world to me, there's a bunch of rare NBA stuff and old nostalgic stuff I NEED to conserve somehow, before I need to throw them out coz I'm moving in like a few weeks...

THANKS A LOT !! Would mean the world to me !!

P.S.: worst case I can do PC, but I'm using a Mac right now.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DVDdoug
post Feb 19 2013, 06:03
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 46454

It requires more than just a "cable"...

I found this cable with USB on one end, and RCA on the other.
Make sure one of those RCA connectors is for video... Otherwise, it could be a USB soundcard... wink.gif

What you are looking for is a "video capture device". The EZCAP is popular, inexpensive, and has a good reputation. But, apparently it only works on Windows computers. There are all kinds of video capture devices, and they can get much more expensive. There are also some cheap ones with similar names to EZCAP (such as EazyCap), but they don't have a good reputation.

If you have a MiniDV camera, many times these have composite video & audio inputs, and a firewire output, and these can sometimes be used as a capture device in "pass-thru" mode, if you have a computer with a firewire input.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:33