Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wireless stage IEM monitor
markanini
post Mar 5 2013, 22:59
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10615

It's a long shot but in the hope that someone might have insight...

I'm shopping around for wireless IEM system to use with my Etymotic ER4. Basically it's a UHF audio transmitter and reciever with integrated headphone amp for stage use. So far I've looked at Sennheiser and Nady units and noted none of them list output impedance. Anyone have experiences or recommendations?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Mar 5 2013, 23:59
Post #2

Member No.: 46454

and noted none of them list output impedance.
Impedance shouldn't be an issue. The impedance of the amplifier/electronics just needs to be lower than the IEM's impedance. If they don't specify it, I would assume it's low-enough to work with any standard IEMs. It's really not hard or expensive to build something with very-low internal-output impedance.

And the specs can be confusing... The actual internal source-impedance might be 1 Ohm or so, but it might be "rated" at 16 or 32 Ohms (to be used with 16 or 32 Ohm, or higher, IEMs.)

Probably the most important thing is how well it works in the real world on-stage, and you might not be able to determine that from the specs. So, you might consider renting before you buy.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Mar 6 2013, 00:01
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Mar 6 2013, 13:46
Post #3

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (markanini @ Mar 5 2013, 16:59) *
It's a long shot but in the hope that someone might have insight...

I'm shopping around for wireless IEM system to use with my Etymotic ER4. Basically it's a UHF audio transmitter and reciever with integrated headphone amp for stage use. So far I've looked at Sennheiser and Nady units and noted none of them list output impedance. Anyone have experiences or recommendations?

Wireless monitors are basically just wireless microphones turned around. Instead of a portable transmitter, you have a portable receiver. However while wireless microphones can benefit from diversity reception, the size of wireless monitor receivers seems to inhibit the use of this effective technology for obtaining reliable reception.

The end result of high source impedances in headphone drivers is additional variations in frequency response. Wireless monitors are often used in circumstances where equalization is available and applied before the transmitter to obtain the desired timbre for the performer/listener. Therefore, the kind of precision we demand and often obtain with our portable digital players is either obtained by adjustments in the area or internal to the mixing console.

Therefore few if anybody bothers to specify source impedances.

IME Nady does not have a particularly good reputation for anything but low price. Sennheiser has an excellent reputation for providing well-engineered, well-constructed equipment.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 13:05