IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

how does foobar handle metadata/tags ?, when adding replaygain values
cpaqf1
post Mar 8 2013, 05:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107102

Hi,

I've got a pretty massive music library and I decided I'd be interested in using Replay gain. Thing is I never ripped my music with the track volume entry which means I'd have to scan my whole library, which is fine with me. Thing is, I sometimes got the feeling that when modifying a track name, or album title, or artist name, it would rewrite the file instead of modifying the info which caused fragmentation. So, my question is how does foobar handle this stuff, does it only add it or does it erase and recopy/rewrite the file on the hard drive ? I wouldn't want my whole library fragmented because I added replaygain values..

My library is in flac if that makes a difference

thanks
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Case
post Mar 9 2013, 23:36
Post #2

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 322

Checking is simple: WriteFile function returns error or writes less bytes than it should. If this happens the temp file creation is aborted, the file is removed and the user is shown an error message that tagging failed.
Fragmentation doesn't of course cause playback to slow down enough to cause glitches. But it does affect transcoding and replaygain scanning speeds.
+Quote Post
cpaqf1
post Mar 10 2013, 00:48
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 107102

QUOTE (Case @ Mar 9 2013, 23:36) *
Checking is simple: WriteFile function returns error or writes less bytes than it should. If this happens the temp file creation is aborted, the file is removed and the user is shown an error message that tagging failed.
Fragmentation doesn't of course cause playback to slow down enough to cause glitches. But it does affect transcoding and replaygain scanning speeds.

awesome, thanks a lot
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 00:02