Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: M$ is putting WMA in DVD players. Is OGG left behind? (Read 4449 times) previous topic - next topic

M$ is putting WMA in DVD players. Is OGG left behind?

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4...?chkpt=zdnn_mh_
More reasons to hate M$ :mad:
From what I have read in previous posts, companies will support OGG in their products only if it gets to 1.0
IMHO, the OGG decoder should be pussed to 1.0 soon because I have a terrible nightmare that we'll be dominated by WMA 
What do you think about this move from M$? I mean, really, there ought to be a time when a superior product (OGG) overcomes an inferior one (WMA) and not the other way around because of (again!) the giant company behind it!

Reply #1
Originally posted by Wizard
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4...?chkpt=zdnn_mh_ 
More reasons to hate M$ :mad: 
From what I have read in previous posts, companies will support OGG in their products only if it gets to 1.0
IMHO, the OGG decoder should be pussed to 1.0 soon because I have a terrible nightmare that we'll be dominated by WMA  
What do you think about this move from M$? I mean, really, there ought to be a time when a superior product (OGG) overcomes an inferior one (WMA) and not the other way around because of (again!) the giant company behind it!

a) the ogg decoder _is_ 1.0 for all means and purposes and has been since rc1

b) Superior products often don't replace inferior ones when they have more backing. Life isn't fair, MS will screw you and the big companies own your country and your ass.

Get over it.

--
GCP

Reply #2
hmm what about M$ Corona? has anybody heard anything more
than M$ says in their site about their 'NEW AND AWESOME'
incoming product?

Reply #3
microsoft, what is microsoft

Garf, perhaps you could ask Monty if he could release a REAL OFFICIAL Ogg decoder version 1.0 ? I mean, with press articles etc. so that the companies get interested ? The real freaks  know that the decoder is final, but you know there is that "RC3" behind the name. Stupid world...

Reply #4
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
microsoft, what is microsoft

Garf, perhaps you could ask Monty if he could release a REAL OFFICIAL Ogg decoder version 1.0 ? I mean, with press articles etc. so that the companies get interested ? The real freaks  know that the decoder is final, but you know there is that "RC3" behind the name. Stupid world...

Exactly my point  Eventually companies will get interested in Ogg Vorbis, but I think this must be done ASAP so that people don't get "addicted" to WMA just because M$ was first. It's like the situation we face now with MP3 encoders; a lot of people use Xing because it's fast and they feel that quality is "acceptable" to them. Of course, Lame is by far superior, but if you try to convince them to switch, you'll most likely fail because they are used to what they know and they feel fine about it. That's what I predict will happen with WMA if Ogg falls behind; people will get used to the quality of WMA and will never change to OGG just because we'll them that quality is better. Of course, we're dealing with a giant company, but if WMA and OGG start together, something good could come out of it

Reply #5
Yes separating the encoder and decoder would be an idea to consider. Bam you have a release quality product. Sure the encoder is still in development. But that is the case with any good codec. So since the decoder is ready for full release just do it. That is the thing all these companies need to implement. Unless they are building a hardware encoder. Mmmmmmmm hardware encoder. Zooooooooooooooom!

In the end M$ can do what they want. They are for the most part not answerable to anyone. God where are you? Smite them suckers. hehehehehehehe But Opensource and open thinking will continue to put the fear of mortality in Microsoft. Microsoft's mudslinging against Linux and the GPL in the past are evidence that Microsoft is worried. And all this from companies and developers with almost nill advertising budgets and very little capital to spend. David and Goliath? Sure, but I doubt that Microsoft's spin doctors will be able to rewrite the ending. There is massive MS backlash brewing and I am dooing my best to promote discent and dischord towards Microsoft. I have not bought a copy of windows since 95 and I never plan to buy another copy. Damn XP is annoying though. I had to switch back to 2000 pro.

Reply #6
Why not start an Ogg-DVD support page?

Reply #7
Or just a large page as a petition to start OGG support in general! I want it in my toaster as well eh.

Reply #8
I like your style Neo Neko