Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gaps (Read 9914 times) previous topic - next topic

Gaps

I remember reading some tomes regarding gaps between songs on live CDs etc, but am not sure where I saw it. Is it true that an MPC rip of a CD does not have this problem as does mp3? I ripped a live CD and played it in Winamp using the winamp playlist from EAC, and there were still gaps between tracks. How do I overcome this problem?

By the way, I love MPC after some agonising which format. I should have signed up to this forum as Agony Aunt! I'm still not sure it sounds better than mp3 most of the time, but sometimes it definately does. The files are of comparable, or smaller size, however, and mppenc is much faster than LAME (4X v. 1.4X)

regards
Ruse
Ruse

Gaps

Reply #1
MPC is "mostly" gapless, meaning that I don't think extra samples are inserted in the files.. however on some occasions there can be an extremely slight pop or tick between tracks.  I think Frank is working on fixing this though.  On many of the albums I have ripped this problem isn't there, but occasionally you can hear this.

As for winamp... Winamp 2 itself does not allow gapless playback.  That means you could even play back the wavs themselves consecutively and there would be gaps.  To fix this you need a gapless output plugin.  Not one of those crossfade gap removal plugins, and actual gapless output plugin that doesn't close the wave device between tracks.

You can find one for winamp here:

http://www.geocities.com/outgapless/

You will also need to use this plugin for other formats which offer gapless playback such as vorbis.

Gaps

Reply #2
ta Dibrom,
When you use this plugin, does this mean that all tracks join up? That is, do you have to select gapless output each time you want it, and switch back to the standard output module for other track lists? If so, that is very painful!

Ruse
Ruse

Gaps

Reply #3
It means that if you have multiple files in queue to be played, it plays them back gaplessly.  It inserts no extra spaces of silence between, thats all.

Gaps

Reply #4
Fine, I've got it now!

Yes, it works beautifully. This alone would be a good reason to use MPC as a collection archiving format.

It's not just live albums that this affects, but gapless albums like:

Neil Finn - One Nil
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
(to name just 2 of many in my collection)

I think some producers relish the thought of stuffing up mp3 internet sharing by running tracks together with clever segues.

thanks Dibrom - this site is a breath of fresh air re objectivity and data reduction formats!

Ruse
Ruse

Gaps

Reply #5
My intitial elation has subsided! Still small clicks noticable betweeen tracks. Oh well.
Ruse