Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Seeking Basic Noise Reduction Software for MP3s (Read 3332 times) previous topic - next topic

Seeking Basic Noise Reduction Software for MP3s

Hi,

I have dozens of MP3 files that contains music taken originally from my cassette and vinyl collection. [BTW, I recorded this music directly into MP3 files via the line imput of my sound card with no intermediate WAV files involved using an excellent program, IMO, called Power MP3 Recorder I had purchased from http://www.cooolsoft.com/mp3rec.htm ]

All of them have some degree of bothersome hiss, crackle, and popping noise.

Can anyone suggest some small-sized, simple, basic, & uncomplicated editing tools that can significantly reduce these kinds of noises from my MP3 files without killing the dynamics and without re-encoding? Please note that I would like to perform this editing directly with my MP3 files; I do NOT want to work with WAV files whatsoever.

Thank you.

Reply #1
In the past I have used cooledit pro to remove most of the garbage found on rips of poor quality CD's.  I have moved over to Adobe Audition since the makers of cooledit have sold the rights.

Program works fine if you take the time to learn it but it is not cheap...somewhere in the $250+ range.

Be advised it will allow you to cleanup mp3 files but when you save the file it recompresses it which is a big no-no.    sorta of like transcodeing.

sorry but I did not design the beast.  I had surched the net for good freeware that does the same type of repair as either of the two titles I mentioned but nothing a I could find (that was free) did a real good job at pop, crackel and hiss removal.

rickshaw
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. Jerry Garcia-Grateful Dead

Reply #2
Can anyone suggest some small-sized, simple, basic, & uncomplicated editing tools that can significantly reduce these kinds of noises from my MP3 files ... Please note that I would like to perform this editing directly with my MP3 files; I do NOT want to work with WAV files whatsoever.

not possible. there some programs that allow you to do very basic editing (i.e. trim silence, fade in/out, etc.) directly on mp3 files without the need to transcode but you can't do noise reduction without decoding to wav first.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #3
I'm currently using Sony Noise Reuction Plug-in for my Sony Soundforge. A very revolutionizing software allowing you to choose 3 algorithms in removing noise/cassette hiss on recording. Try this for your self.

I'm currently using Sony Noise Reuction Plug-in for my Sony Soundforge. A very revolutionizing software allowing you to choose 3 algorithms in removing noise/cassette hiss on recording. Try this for your self.

Reply #4
Your NR plugin is working only on WAV format files.