Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Play Counter (Read 340902 times) previous topic - next topic

Play Counter

Reply #25
2) Added "DB only mask" to compensate for lack of support for determining files that don't support tags.  i.e., WAV files.  In version 1.0, a DB update was done for all files, but this only defers updating the file (the next tag update will also write
the play counters).  The default value is "*.wav", which will cause it to not attempt
updates to WAV files.  If the method used in 1.0 is desired, a mask of *.* can be
used instead.  Hopefully I discover a better way...

Play Counter 1.1 (Binary)

Play Counter 1.1 (Source)

Is there any easy way to have it NEVER update the actual files themselves with this information? I don't want my MP3 tag, for example, to get an update everytime I play a file. I do want other updates to the tags to occur, but I don't want playcounts/timestamps/that sort of thing to get in there. Not even deferred. I do want this info stored in the foobar DB, just not in the files.

This may be outside the scope of this plugin, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Play Counter

Reply #26
Is there any easy way to have it NEVER update the actual files themselves with this information?

Well... that was the gist of the discussion earlier in this thread.  I don't see a way, and foosion doesn't either, to prohibit updates to the files (for just these tags).

This is one of those "use it if you don't mind the side effect" type plugins.  As for myself, I could care less if these tags are in the file.  That is, after all, the purpose of meta data.  But each to their own I suppose... 

Maybe someday the fb2k god's will add DB only meta info...
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Play Counter

Reply #27
Maybe someday the fb2k god's will add DB only meta info...

yeah, we definitely need that! some easy function which would set special flag for given tag, which would keep it db only ...

this would need only small change to sdk and db.

Play Counter

Reply #28
OK... last change for awhile... I hope... 

1.2 (Apr 14 2004):

1) Replaced option to update at play start vs completion with a slider bar so that
a playback percentage can be specified instead.

Play Count (Binary)

Play Count (Source)

Enjoy...

Perfect for me now. 
Thanks!

Play Counter

Reply #29
Very very nice plugin!!!
I am adding a Play Counter Column to my Azrael formatting string!!

--
Neksus

Play Counter

Reply #30
This looks like a very useful plugin, unfortunately I can't get it at the moment.. The server seems inaccessible. Could you (someone) upload the latest version to the Uploads Forum please? Thanks!

Play Counter

Reply #31
This looks like a very useful plugin, unfortunately I can't get it at the moment.. The server seems inaccessible. Could you (someone) upload the latest version to the Uploads Forum please? Thanks!

Here is my mirror!
foo_playcount.dll

--
Neksus

Play Counter

Reply #32

Yeah... sorry... the server it's on just bit the dust for the momemt.  It will be back up in a little while.
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Play Counter

Reply #33
Thanks tboehrer, I have been waiting for a plugin like this. I personally like the fact that tags are added to the files and not just kept in database.

I noticed that the percentage, only reflects the position of the progress bar, and not the actual percentage of the file that has been played. Not a big problem for me as I rearely touch the progress bar anyway, but I guess some might find it inconvenient that skimming through a file is counted.

Play Counter

Reply #34
I noticed that the percentage, only reflects the position of the progress bar, and not the actual percentage of the file that has been played.

Huh?  If I have a 163 second long track, set the percentage to 20%, it does the update at approx 32 seconds into the file.  60% would be approx 98 seconds into the track.  Both seem to work here.  What are you seeing?

EDIT:  I think I understand... correct me if I'm wrong.  You are thinking that, assuming 20% complete (for 163 second track), that after 32 seconds of played audio, irrespective of the seek bar position the update would happen.  Not just simply once the seek bar passed the 32 second mark.  If so, interesting.  Never considered that.

Play Counter

Reply #35
Thanks for the quick updates. Perfect for me now. 

Play Counter

Reply #36
Are tags really added to files? I move some files to another folder and play them again, all pre_added tags are lost.

Play Counter

Reply #37
Are tags really added to files? I move some files to another folder and play them again, all pre_added tags are lost.

Works here...

Open your console, and play a track.  You should see messages that the file is getting updated.

Play Counter

Reply #38

Works here...

Open your console, and play a track.  You should see messages that the file is getting updated.

Yeah I can see a message in console like this:

INFO (foo_playcount) : file://E:\Music\== Listening ==\Rock  Pink Floyd - Animals\03 Pigs (Three Different Ones).mpc

And the tags are do added. But if move this file to another place and play it , its tags are lost. Then move it back, the tags are back too! Really strange.
Then I doubt if tags are stored in DB file, I delete database.foo file, the tags are still there. Confused...

Play Counter

Reply #39
Edit:  deleted

Play Counter

Reply #40
Why don't you e-mail me at:  tboehrer at calltower dot com

we can work through this and not clutter the thread...

Ok, check your emailbox pls.

Play Counter

Reply #41
I noticed that the percentage, only reflects the position of the progress bar, and not the actual percentage of the file that has been played.

Huh?  If I have a 163 second long track, set the percentage to 20%, it does the update at approx 32 seconds into the file.  60% would be approx 98 seconds into the track.  Both seem to work here.  What are you seeing?

EDIT:  I think I understand... correct me if I'm wrong.  You are thinking that, assuming 20% complete (for 163 second track), that after 32 seconds of played audio, irrespective of the seek bar position the update would happen.  Not just simply once the seek bar passed the 32 second mark.  If so, interesting.  Never considered that.

If I set the bar to 98%, the tags are updated if I'm seeking directly to the end of the file. Even if the file is 30 minutes long, and if I play it during 5 seconds, the tags are updated if I'm playing the last 10 seconds (tested with v.1.2).

Play Counter

Reply #42
Cool, this works for me.

Edit: Discovered your other new plugin - the Extended Playlist Generator.

The only problem for me is I can't easily generate the playlists I want because of the date and time being in different fields. Also the date being in that form is difficult. It would be a lot easier if it was stored as seconds since Epoch..

e.g. I can't do "play_date LESS 150304" to get songs I haven't played since 150304. Either moving this to 040315 format or changing the fields to a single "second since epoch" would solve this.

Play Counter

Reply #43
...changing the fields to a single "second since epoch" would solve this.

Changing to this would make it difficult to format for the display, yes?  What about an optional 3rd timestamp?

Play Counter

Reply #44
Actually, what about being able to specify the format for the date and time fields?  That way, you could pick the format that best suits you.  Maybe even an option to disable a tag?

Play Counter

Reply #45
...changing the fields to a single "second since epoch" would solve this.

Changing to this would make it difficult to format for the display, yes?  What about an optional 3rd timestamp?

mm I know.. I think the ideal situation would be for Peter to add a couple of TAGZ functions to translate between timestamps and pretty dates, and a $time_now() function.

I don't imagine these would be particularly high on his priority list. So, for now, please do implement a 3rd timestamp field .

Thankyou!

Play Counter

Reply #46
Actually, what about being able to specify the format for the date and time fields?  That way, you could pick the format that best suits you.  Maybe even an option to disable a tag?

That would be even better. Allowing people to have x tags added to a file when has been played y% through. Each of the tags being a combination of the information coming out of a time() function (timestamp, yearday, monthday, hour, etc..)

Makes for possible redundancy but that is up to the user..

Play Counter

Reply #47

This sounds like an idea!

--
Neksus

Play Counter

Reply #48
The more I think about it, I'm not sure how someone would easily use "seconds since epoch".  It's not as if humans are used to using a timestamp like that.  For example, if you wanted to know what was played since last Friday, what is the value?  Not very practical I would think?

Play Counter

Reply #49
That would be even better. Allowing people to have x tags added to a file when has been played y% through. Each of the tags being a combination of the information coming out of a time() function (timestamp, yearday, monthday, hour, etc..)

I'm not sure what you are saying.  I was thinking something along the line of being able to enter: YYMMDD.  Or if they wanted to preformat it MM-DD-YYYY, or DD/MM/YY.  You probably wouldn't want to use non-numbers in the format if you wanted to do what you had suggested (play_date LESS 040415).  But it would save having to have the various title formatting do it.  Up to the user though.