Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: C2 problems in EAC (Read 3232 times) previous topic - next topic

C2 problems in EAC

I had a problem with selecting the C2 feature ("Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error informations") in EAC 0.9 beta 4 (drive is DVD Hitachi GD-5000). I ripped the same track of original audio cd twice and compared the two waws that should be identical, but files had "different samples" (what is strange is that this problem occured only on one track, the other tracks i tried to compare were identical, with no different samples). But when i disabled the C2 feature, ripped the problematic track again two times and compared wavs there were no different samples. So, i think it is better to disable C2 feature, it appeared very unsure with my drive.

C2 problems in EAC

Reply #1
TransHumanist: You've discovered what more and more people are finding out.  In my opinion EAC should have a warning built in telling people that C2 is supported correctly by VERY VERY few drives. 

In fact, the only drives I've seen where there hasn't been some sort of complaint about C2 ability are the Plextor drives.  It makes me wonder how many people are out there ripping with C2 enabled, thinking that EAC is error-correcting just fine.

If it were up to me,  and it isn't, I would have a box pop up warning people about this fact when selecting the C2 option in EAC.

chris
the chrismyden.com guide to creating amazing mp3s
http://chrismyden.com/MUSIC/

C2 problems in EAC

Reply #2
Since the C2 feature is unaccurate and unpredictable i think warning would be the best solution. The speed does not matter, quality does. People use EAC because of it's quality.

C2 problems in EAC

Reply #3
That's why I always rip & verify.

C2 problems in EAC

Reply #4
This is not so easy. Sometimes, ripping without C2 is more reliable, but some differences can still remain between the resulting files.
I've found C2 + test and copy to be the best quality/speed ratio with the Memorex DVDMaxx1648, that behaves the same as the Sony DDU1621 (they even have the same offset)