Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Two Sided CD-R, 1.3Gb (Read 4480 times) previous topic - next topic

Two Sided CD-R, 1.3Gb

Wow! Well... its interesting at least. Has anyone had any experience with these?

"Dual sided CDR Discs for double the capacity, these discs can hold a whopping 1.3gb and are compatible with all of today's burners."

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/brow...p?categoryid=26

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Two Sided CD-R, 1.3Gb

Reply #1
I've got some double sided DVDs, and they are difficult to handle without putting the fingers on an optical side !
Without any player capable of reading the two sides automatically with a seamless joint between them, I don't see any interest in the thing. I can always glue my CDRs together if I like. The result will just be the same (exept mine will be very heavy and off-centered), and less convenient to handle.

Two Sided CD-R, 1.3Gb

Reply #2
The problems I see with this are many... they would be impossible to label, you would lose twice as much data if it fails (if sharing the same 'sandwiched' coating on both sides), and unless they were identical in price to single-sided CD-R's I just don't see the attraction.

Two Sided CD-R, 1.3Gb

Reply #3
Also, I thought a double-sided CD-R was not possible due to the fact that a.) the polycarbonate layer has to be a certain thickness for the laser to focus correctly and b.) a double-sided CD-R with polycarbonate layers of the proper thickness would be too thick and heavy for a CD-ROM or CD Player to handle. So either way these discs would be off-spec. Considering how much I hate double-sided DVD's, I'm glad these CD-R's got nixed (read the forum on the website that rc55 gave; it seems as though production was pulled on these discs).

Two Sided CD-R, 1.3Gb

Reply #4
Thanks for clearing that up, Cygnus.

Yep they were pulled. Nice dream...
rc55.com - nothing going on